Cc Screenshot Of Post From 1969!

Business By BlakesCakes Updated 8 Sep 2012 , 2:49am by jason_kraft

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 7

I know the site has been full of hiccups lately, but while scrolling down the forum list today, I noticed that in the Business section, there was a post from 1969 showing. icon_surprised.gif

Was Al Gore even contemplating "the Internet" in 1969??? He was just 21 years old...........
and I was just........gasp...............12 !

icon_lol.gif
Rae

6 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 7

That's funny, and quite odd. What kind of glitch would change something like that? icon_biggrin.gif

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 7

That's funny, and quite odd. What kind of glitch would change something like that? icon_biggrin.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 2:12am
post #4 of 7

The UNIX operating system (which runs a lot of web servers and application servers) defaults to Jan 1, 1970, 00:00 GMT when there is a problem with a function that returns the current date. Adjusting for Eastern Daylight Time (which is 4 hours behind GMT) you get Dec 31, 1969 at 8pm.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 2:17am
post #5 of 7

Oh, poo. I was hoping that one of the Wilton brothers had come back to chime in......

Rae

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 2:34am
post #6 of 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

The UNIX operating system (which runs a lot of web servers and application servers) defaults to Jan 1, 1970, 00:00 GMT when there is a problem with a function that returns the current date. Adjusting for Eastern Daylight Time (which is 4 hours behind GMT) you get Dec 31, 1969 at 8pm.

It's kinda scary that you know that........

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 2:49am
post #7 of 7

It's actually a relatively common problem when working with dates in programming languages (like PHP, which this site runs on) that interface with UNIX servers. Back in high school I used UNIX quite a bit, in fact I coded the first web site for my high school (around 1994) with the vi text editor on a UNIX system.

One way the UNIX date function works is by counting the number of seconds that have passed since Jan 1 1970 (the beginning of the "epoch"), so if it tries to use a value of zero (or a small number that rounds to zero) that's the date you'll end up with. I'm sure I ran into this issue at least once during my programming classes in college.

But I agree, it is a little scary that I remember that, especially since I haven't done any UNIX programming in at least 10 years.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%