CakesbyJen75 Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 5:59pm
post #1 of

I am renting a table to promote my home-based cake and cookie business at a local Mom to Mom sale....Mom's selling their used children's clothing and toys. I am wondering if any one else has done anything like this before and maybe could share pics of your display? Do I go with a theme....fall, candyland etc? I plan to have A 2 tier cake to display, pics of my work, business cards, mini cupcake samples and individually bagged royal iced cookies for sale. Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions icon_smile.gif

18 replies
CakesbyJen75 Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 6:05pm
post #2 of

errrrr! This topic posted3 times.....does anyone know how to delete the other 2???

* Figured it out icon_smile.gif

jamesyay Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 7:55pm
post #3 of

I would make sure you have some happy birthday cake samples shown.

jason_kraft Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 9:02pm
post #4 of

Which state are you in? Some states allow you to sell food made in your home kitchens, while others require a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen, so you'll want to make sure you are following the laws in your state before you rent the table.

AZCouture Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 9:23pm
post #5 of

Honestly, this is the *last* place I would try to promote my work. Sounds like a yard sale kind of place? Used things? People looking for super cheap items for sale? Are your cakes super cheap?

CakesbyJen75 Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 10:09pm
post #6 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Which state are you in? Some states allow you to sell food made in your home kitchens, while others require a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen, so you'll want to make sure you are following the laws in your state before you rent the table.




I am in Ontario, Canada. Not sure of the licensing here when dealing with an event like this.

CakesbyJen75 Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 10:15pm
post #7 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture

Honestly, this is the *last* place I would try to promote my work. Sounds like a yard sale kind of place? Used things? People looking for super cheap items for sale? Are your cakes super cheap?




Not a cheap place nor are my cakes "cheap". People selling there items also rent the tables. The event is very well organized....there will be a variety of businesses and Momprenure's as well, Scentsy, epicure etc. It is a great way to get your name out in the local area.

CakesbyJen75 Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 10:17pm
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesyay

I would make sure you have some happy birthday cake samples shown.




Thanks

AZCouture Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 10:28pm
post #9 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyJen75

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture

Honestly, this is the *last* place I would try to promote my work. Sounds like a yard sale kind of place? Used things? People looking for super cheap items for sale? Are your cakes super cheap?



Not a cheap place nor are my cakes "cheap". People selling there items also rent the tables. The event is very well organized....there will be a variety of businesses and Momprenure's as well, Scentsy, epicure etc. It is a great way to get your name out in the local area.


Ah, good to hear. Must be a very upscale sort of yard sale place then? Please don't take offense either, I'm not the enemy, I have a lot of experience at this, and if there's one thing I've learned, used item events are not a good place to promote work like this. Unless.....you are selling inexepensive (better than cheap, my bad) quickly made, with little cost, items. Since you have not photos or link, I can't judge by the look of your product. Some people only offer high end $$$$$ items, some people only offer inexepensive (didn't say cheap again) 'every day' occasion cakes. Generally, the two are marketed to different clientele. I would be a fool to go push what I make at a used clothing and baby goods sale. But someone who makes cake pops and cupcakes might do ok.

AZCouture Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 10:33pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyJen75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Which state are you in? Some states allow you to sell food made in your home kitchens, while others require a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen, so you'll want to make sure you are following the laws in your state before you rent the table.



I am in Ontario, Canada. Not sure of the licensing here when dealing with an event like this.


Perhaps contacting the local health dept or city services office might answer this for you?

CakesbyJen75 Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 10:50pm

Anyways was just hoping someone may have pics of how they set up a table for a promoting event............

CakesbyJen75 Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 10:54pm

[quote="AZCouture"][quote="CakesbyJen75"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture

Honestly, this is the *last* place I would try to promote my work. Sounds like a yard sale kind of place? Used things? People looking for super cheap items for sale? Are your cakes super cheap?




Since you have not photos or link,


I have uploaded a few pics and as for link, use the facebook link under my name.

AZCouture Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 10:56pm

Well, your work is darling. I wish you all the best and hope that you sell out of everything and gain lots of repeat business. icon_smile.gif

kelleym Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 11:10pm

When I used to contract out cakes with a local restaurant, the owner participated in one of these events, and asked for a dummy cake to take to her table. I did a baby shower cake. These are nice events, usually well organized, with lots of networking. You will want a birthday cake, and maybe a baby shower cake, too. If you can bring samples, they would be a nice touch. A photo album or digital photo display is a must. If you're looking for display ideas, I'd just look at google images for cake tables at bridal shows, since this is roughly the same kind of event. Make sure to take lots of cards.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cake+table+bridal+show&hl=en&rlz=1C1ASUT_enUS434US434&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=IX5KULGeFsfC2wWa-oH4Cg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=995

jgifford Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 1:57am

I would check out the event first. A friend of mine took loads of her son's baby clothes to one of these events - - the organizers took a 60% commission! Granted, she still made money, but not nearly as much as she would have if she'd just had a garage sale. Just a thought . . . .

Heather_bakes Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 2:55am

I did a moms event, it was for a Halloween party so I had a straightforward theme. I have a pic but I can't figure out how to attach it. I did a small cake, cookies and cupcakes. If you want to see the pic then send me a pm. I am also in Ontario so if you want to know about food laws send me a pm and I will share what I know icon_smile.gif

CakesbyJen75 Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 3:56am
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

When I used to contract out cakes with a local restaurant, the owner participated in one of these events, and asked for a dummy cake to take to her table. I did a baby shower cake. These are nice events, usually well organized, with lots of networking. You will want a birthday cake, and maybe a baby shower cake, too. If you can bring samples, they would be a nice touch. A photo album or digital photo display is a must. If you're looking for display ideas, I'd just look at google images for cake tables at bridal shows, since this is roughly the same kind of event. Make sure to take lots of cards.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cake+table+bridal+show&hl=en&rlz=1C1ASUT_enUS434US434&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=IX5KULGeFsfC2wWa-oH4Cg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=995




Thanks alot for your help and love the idea of using a digital photo display, thanks againicon_smile.gif

CakesbyJen75 Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 3:57am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather_bakes

I did a moms event, it was for a Halloween party so I had a straightforward theme. I have a pic but I can't figure out how to attach it. I did a small cake, cookies and cupcakes. If you want to see the pic then send me a pm. I am also in Ontario so if you want to know about food laws send me a pm and I will share what I know icon_smile.gif




Thanks so much, will send you a PM!

CakesbyJen75 Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 4:09am

Heather, took at look at your web page...amazing work! We are close, I am in Brantford icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%