Edible Printers

Decorating By kimlina Updated 8 Sep 2012 , 2:42am by hbquikcomjamesl

kimlina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimlina Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 11:10am
post #1 of 5

Just won a Brother printer and wandering if any of you use one with edible ink?

4 replies
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 12:57pm
post #2 of 5

I have only seen cartridges for certain Epson and Canon models, but I don't 100% know that there aren't any for Brothers. Google "edible ink cartridges" along with your Brother printer model number and see what turns up.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 5

Also note that unless you plan on steam-cleaning your printer every time you switch from regular to edible ink (a process not guaranteed to extend the life of the mechanism), you really ought to have a separate dedicated printer for edible image printing and nothing else.

BabyGerald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyGerald Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 12:51am
post #4 of 5

Steam cleaning your printer and/or print head would NOT be sufficient to achieve food safety if you actually intended to switch between edible and regular inks.

You should never use a printer for edible image printing that has seen regular ink ever before. As far as I have ever heard, this point is an ironclad health & safety rule.

(I only mention it here because this thread could get pulled up with a search engine and negligiently misinform someone - even if the previous post was meant as a joke.)

As to the OP, if you go to the website of Icing Images they have a large matrix of many printer types and inks that are/are not compatible.

Cheers,
-jerry s.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 2:42am
post #5 of 5

Uh, the point is that a high-pressure steam hose (which is what I mean by "steam cleaning") might possibly remove every trace of conventional ink, but long before it did so, it would render the question of food safety moot, by turning the printer into a non-functioning piece of abstract sculpure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%