Contract With Event Planner

Business By jena2727 Updated 7 Sep 2012 , 9:22pm by BlakesCakes

jena2727 Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 10

Okay, I have been working with an event planner since I started my business in March. She has just requested that I give her a 10% kickback from all orders that I get through her. I think that is fair but I am trying to figure out how to work it. She said that she didn't expect to use me as much as she has because she already had a baker she was using. I have only booked 4 orders with her in a little over 6 months, those orders total $354... and $225 was cupcakes for a wedding the others were small birthday orders. Generally I do not even know the clients name, even weddings are done completely through her, no communication from the bride directly. I do not get any contact information to have the ability to contact the customer for future orders unless they have her plan their event.

My first question is why should she get 10% of my profit? Should I tell her this is my price, add 10% on top of that? What is the standard for this?

I feel like if she is getting a kickback from my orders then I should be able to have the clients info to contact them in the future. Am I wrong here?

Also in the past she has contacted me and says can you make this kind of cake? well yes but I need the date and servings. It's very rare that she will give me the date up front. She is very vague with other info and with the wedding I did for her I didnt get the delivery address until 2 weeks before. Said she didnt have it because the bride lived in Hawaii and was having the wedding here in Florida. Is she being sneaky in some way or just not running her business well?

Any input as to what I should request in a contract with her would be much appreciated. I am currently working on a wedding cake order with her and will be doing a tasting so I will meet this bride. This is something new so I will see how this plays out but would like to be prepared to set up an agreement with the event planner after the tasting if the bride decides to book with me.

Thanks in advance

9 replies
DeliciousDesserts Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 12:09am
post #2 of 10

I doubt she is being sneaky (but she may be). I'm hoping she is just flaky.

I don't think she should get 10% ESPECIALLY if you don't get any info. I really don't like her not giving you info about the cake, venue, etc. I also think it is really weird to ask for a kickback then follow it with the fact she won't be using you but some other baker. WHAT?!!

Is there any way you can just be upfront with her. Explain you would like to work with her but you would like it to be more smooth. Explain that, based on her set-up, you can offer her a rate of X & she can mark up as she sees fit. If she wants to start referring clients, you will either offer her a % or a flat fee. In those instances, YOU get to speak to the couple!

BlakesCakes Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 12:15am
post #3 of 10

So, if I understand correctly, she is just now asking for 10%, but hasn't received it on the previous cakes? it's a new finder/referral fee?

Sounds like you're also just her "overflow" caker and that the other one is getting the majority of the orders.

Who is talking $$ with the bride? You? or the planner?
Will you be getting a deposit? From the planner? from the bride?
Who will pay you directly for the cake? the planner or the bride?

If she's the one who pays you for the cake--minus her commission--and you've set the price--how do you know what SHE CHARGED THE BRIDE?

I assume that these types of relationships can work, but not knowing the other person's business practices would make me pretty uncomfortable.

I would think that her fee structure to the bride would be either a flat fee, hourly fee, or something like 10% of the total cost of the event--paid BY THE BRIDE--not by the individual vendors (that would be complicated).

I guess if her orders aren't the backbone of your business--or you don't want to make it one--I either pass all together or counter with something that would work better for you. I'd definitely require more personal interaction and accounting with the actual customer.

JMHO
Rae

jgifford Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 1:05am
post #4 of 10

I would say get away from her completely. You want someone to refer customers to you because you make awesome cakes, not because you follow their feeble instructions and give them a kickback. It sounds like your wedding planner has gotten a little greedy and is trying to make more off each event.

Anytime someone isn't completely up front and transparent with you, you can just bet they're trying to hide something. I personally would tell her goodbye. JMO

jena2727 Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

So, if I understand correctly, she is just now asking for 10%, but hasn't received it on the previous cakes? it's a new finder/referral fee?

Yes, she is just now asking for this and says she has this set up with all of her vendors and not sure why she forgot to mention it.

Quote:

Sounds like you're also just her "overflow" caker and that the other one is getting the majority of the orders.

The way she worded it sounded to me like she was using another baker (who actually is 30 mins away) and probably got a quote from me for something her regular baker couldn't do. And then just ended up using me again because it was easier since I was closer? And from the pictures she posts on her FB page I haven't seen any other cakes. I know she has done one or two other weddings but I'm not sure who made those cakes. And honestly I'm just breaking into wedding cakes so I'm not too concerned there.

Quote:

The planner has done this so far.

Quote:

I do get a deposit of 50% at booking. This has come from the planner on 2 orders and the other 2 from the client. one of whom is another planner who works for her and the second was from the wedding cupcakes and that I didn't get until 2 weeks before the wedding just like the address.This was the bride who lived in Hawaii....

Quote:

Planner so far in most cases.
If she's the one who pays you for the cake--minus her commission--and you've set the price--how do you know what SHE CHARGED THE BRIDE? I wouldn't yet it seems she is charging the price I quote her. This is why I think it would be easiest for her to put whatever mark up she wants on it and call it a day.

So laying out a form of this is the info I need to give a quote, IF you want a % I must receive the client's info. If you want to keep that confidential, I think it is best for you to place your mark up on the quote I give you....

jena2727 Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:

Yes, she is just now asking for this and says she has this set up with all of her vendors and not sure why she forgot to mention it.

Quote:

The way she worded it sounded to me like she was using another baker (who actually is 30 mins away) and probably got a quote from me for something her regular baker couldn't do. And then just ended up using me again because it was easier since I was closer? And from the pictures she posts on her FB page I haven't seen any other cakes. I know she has done one or two other weddings but I'm not sure who made those cakes. And honestly I'm just breaking into wedding cakes so I'm not too concerned there.

Quote:

Quote:

I do get a deposit of 50% at booking. This has come from the planner on 2 orders and the other 2 from the client. one of whom is another planner who works for her and the second was from the wedding cupcakes and that I didn't get until 2 weeks before the wedding just like the address.This was the bride who lived in Hawaii....

Quote:

If she's the one who pays you for the cake--minus her commission--and you've set the price--how do you know what SHE CHARGED THE BRIDE? I wouldn't yet it seems she is charging the price I quote her. This is why I think it would be easiest for her to put whatever mark up she wants on it and call it a day.

So laying out a form of this is the info I need to give a quote, IF you want a % I must receive the client's info. If you want to keep that confidential, I think it is best for you to place your mark up on the quote I give you....

jena2727 Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 3:01pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

BakingIrene Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 10

I read the original post and gave it some thought.

I would say that feedback from the customer is an important part of MY business.

I would tell this wedding planner that I am not satisfied with this trial venture and that I will no longer accept orders from her.

jena2727 Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 4:55pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

I read the original post and gave it some thought.

I would say that feedback from the customer is an important part of MY business.

I would tell this wedding planner that I am not satisfied with this trial venture and that I will no longer accept orders from her.

I agree with you! I think I may try to see if we can get a system down. I think it is partly my fault as she has worked with me since day 1 and I myself was not organized. Had I already had a system in place for things like this maybe we would be in a different place on our business transactions.

I would still love for any additional input! Thanks!!

BlakesCakes Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 9:22pm
post #10 of 10

I, too, prefer to have a personal & working relationship with the recipient of a cake. I'm not the type to be a good "middle man" icon_wink.gif

As for allowing her to charge the brides "whatever"..........well, no one is going to make an unknown amount money off of my back. icon_confused.gif

To me, that would allow her to choose me as her baker because I'm the best quality at the lowest price that she could find and then go back to the bride and add on way more than 10% to the cake. Nope, not happening.

I personally prefer to work for myself, under my own guidelines, without having to involve another person who feels that they have a horse in the same money race.

JMHO
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%