Vanilla-Pure, Imitation Or Oil?

Decorating By bbsmom Updated 7 Sep 2012 , 4:50am by AZCouture

bbsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbsmom Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 16

I've always used pure and purchased from local grocery but have more cakes upcoming & was thinking it was time to look into a larger quantity purchase. Can I substitute something like the Lorann oil for vanilla in both cake and icing? Does anyone use imitation vanilla-is there an after taste? Where do you find the best price for larger quanities (4oz is largest my store carries)? As always..your comments are greatly appreciated!!

15 replies
BabyGerald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyGerald Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 16

It is possible to find large quantites of pure vanilla online for purchase. Nielssen-Massy pure vanilla extract can be purchased in a 32 fluid oz. bottle for a cost savings.

Sorry, I don't know anything about imitation vanilla or oil.

Good luck!
-j

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 16

I've heard Costco and BJs Wholesale Club have big 16 oz vanilla extract, McCormick for less than $10.

I make my own. If you are going to use a lot of it, you should start brewing your own now with vodka and vanilla beans. You can never have it better tasting than that. It will take about 4 months and you'll never need to buy it again.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 16

I agree. Making it is nice. I make my own pretty inexpensively and best taste I've had.

However, if convenience is a major factor, you can get pretty low pricing when you buy in bulk.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 16

Make your own, it's inexpensive and much more delicious.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 16

Make it or buy it-always get pure. The imitation stuff is heinous.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 16

how many beans do you put in a bottle (gallon)?
Where do you get your beans in bulk?
Do you use grade B vanilla means?
Which vanilla is your favorite tasting?

imagenthatnj Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 4:36pm
post #8 of 16

Here's a link to the vanilla extract thread.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-706027-0.html

ConnieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieJ Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 4:44pm
post #9 of 16

I agree with the others - make your own because it is awesomely delicious. Also, I have had bad experiences with LorAnn oils. At first taste, no issue. Shortly after comes the bitter aftertaste.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 6:49pm
post #10 of 16

LorAnn also sells vanilla EXTRACT made the same way as Nielsen-Massey and other brands.

Be careful about the label...but their Tahitian double strength extract is excellent, as is their Madagascar extract, both compared to real beans.

sweetminis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetminis Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 7:26pm
post #11 of 16

I love my homemade vanilla above all, however, I just realized that I am running dangerously low! I have started a new liter batch but in the meantime (3-4months) I had to purchase Nielson-Massey. I bought a 32oz bottle of Madagascar Vanilla on Amazon for $29 & free shipping, an extremely great price for a lovely product.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 8:43pm
post #12 of 16

I was thrilled when I found Nielsen-Massey at my local market. However, I was not thrilled when I used it. I added double what the recipe called for since I wanted a stronger flavor. I might as well have not used any. I checked the date, smell, etc., but couldn't find anything wrong. Oh, well. The best vanilla flavoring I've found is powdered, from KitchenKrafts. Amazing!

bbsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbsmom Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 10:06pm
post #13 of 16

Wow!! Thank you!! Duh-it never crossed my mind to make my own. And thanks for the link to the extracts, apparently I never type in the right wording as I tried that first icon_redface.gif Luckily, I've got "granny-nanny" duty @ my daughters next week-bigger city & better shopping so will look for vanilla beans there. Thanks again!

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 10:48pm
post #14 of 16

I use nothing but McCormick pure vanilla extract.

My understanding is that imitation vanilla is generally just the dominant ester, vanillin. Which makes it, in effect, a caricature of the real stuff.

Likewise, for maple flavor, I use nothing but pure maple syrup, usually Vermont Grade B (it's the most robust of the common grades, and therefore more likely to stand up to cooking heat, and to other strong flavorings, like the pure sweetness of powdered sugar).

If McCormick offered a pure strawberry extract, I'd use it as well, instead of their imitation. But most of the strawberry flavoring in my strawberry marble cake and strawberry frosting comes from the strawberry jam in both.

imagenthatnj Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 12:40am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsmom

Wow!! Thank you!! Duh-it never crossed my mind to make my own. And thanks for the link to the extracts, apparently I never type in the right wording as I tried that first icon_redface.gif Luckily, I've got "granny-nanny" duty @ my daughters next week-bigger city & better shopping so will look for vanilla beans there. Thanks again!

Just in case, read this before you buy. You might get them cheaper online. There are a few recommendations here. Sometimes vanilla beans are expensive when bought at supermarkets and baking stores. Remember you want to save money and time, while keeping the great taste.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-729887.html

Good luck!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 4:50am
post #16 of 16

Vanilla Products USA. Google them. 'Nuff said. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%