How Much Are You Charging For Labor?

Business By cakeman76 Updated 6 Sep 2012 , 3:30am by cakeman76

cakeman76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeman76 Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 5:36am
post #1 of 10

Hello All,
What are most of you charging for your hourly labor?

$10, $15, $20 etc.?

9 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 6:26am
post #2 of 10

This number will vary depending on local cost of living and your efficiency, but generally $10-15/hour is a good range for beginners in most areas.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 6:35am
post #3 of 10

$10-$15 per hour???? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

NOT in Australia - unless you have time-travelled 20 years BACKWARDS

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 7:50am
post #4 of 10

Substantially more than your top price.

jason_kraft Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumPam

$10-$15 per hour???? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

NOT in Australia - unless you have time-travelled 20 years BACKWARDS

As I said, this number will vary, which is why responses from other parts of the world probably won't help that much. In high cost of living areas like Australia the wage would be significantly higher, but then again everything else is more expensive so consumers would be used to paying higher prices.

If you're looking for a general rule of thumb, 150-200% of minimum wage would be a good starting point.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 10

Oh Jason - PLEASE don't start going on like you KNOW Australia

I read you last "Expose on Australia and its Economy" in your tussle with Bluehue - it was inaccurate and full of Google Garbage

We have PLENTY of cake shops here that are will churn out mass produced budget cakes too

jason_kraft Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 10

Let's try to keep this civil please...all I said was that the cost of living in Australia is relatively high, so wages and prices would be higher than other areas. This is an economic fact and not a slight against your country.

fedra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fedra Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 10

I really do not understand how Jason's comment was offensive to some people, he clearly stated that this amount will vary depending on your efficiency and area. Anyway, as for the OP's question: I charge ingredient price, my overhead (utilities, insurance), a profit margin of 15% and estimated labor at $13/hr. HTH
Fedra

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 11:31pm
post #9 of 10

Depends...But in general I'm probably doing about $40-50 an hour at a minimum. That's for hands-on cake work, though, so if you factor in all the time I spend messing around and doing non-hands-on work it ends up being less than that icon_rolleyes.gif

cakeman76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeman76 Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 3:30am
post #10 of 10

thank you all. You have been very helpful

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%