Frostings To Use Under Fondant

Decorating By BeaDavis Updated 5 Sep 2012 , 3:36am by lorieleann

BeaDavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeaDavis Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 12:21am
post #1 of 5

I hope someone can help!!! I'm doing a wedding cake next week, a small three tier topsy turvy cake covered in fondant and I've never done fondant before. I've been watching videos on youtube, and reading everything I can find. I'm also practicing. One source said to cover the cake with buttercream, chill and then cover with fondant. OK. So I'm smoothing the fondant gently but the buttercream is squeezing out the bottom and making a terrible mess. The fondant was also not adhereing to the cake. Should I be using a different type of frosting, maybe a 10x based crusting type? Does the fondant stick to that? Any recommendations for a good tasting frosting that works well under fondant. Perhaps I was using too much and should have just used a very thin layer. I hope someone can help...I'm about to have a nervous breakdown!!!

4 replies
savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 12:25am
post #2 of 5

Indydebi's buttercream in the recipe section, or ganache.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 12:49am
post #3 of 5

What kind are you using? And how thick are you putting it on?

bellacakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellacakecreations Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 12:49am
post #4 of 5

Ganache especially for a topsy turvy it just gives it more strength and is easy to use.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 3:36am
post #5 of 5

I would want something that gets hard and stays hard while I work it with the fondant. I would use ganache, then an all-butter buttercream of SMBC if my work space was cool enough, or a nearly all-butter ABC. I never put fondant over a buttercream that has more than 1/4 of the fat in shortening--it just never gets hard enough when cold to work with the fondant the way I want to work with it. If I use SMBC, I have to work very quickly (something that comes with practice) because the heat of the room and my hands makes it too soft, too quickly. For a beginner with fondant I think that a well chilled ganache is the most fool-proof way to go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%