Cake Plateau Sizes And What To Buy??

Decorating By Katiebelle74 Updated 10 Oct 2012 , 2:54am by ymmat77

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 4

I am trying to round out my collection of cake plateaus for my business. Currently I have:

Silver
2 Round 14" (I thought I was getting a 16" on the second one and clicked the wrong button on the web. grrrrrrrrr). However, when it got here it is so pretty and MUCH taller than my other 14" so I think I want to keep it.
14 x 6"h
14x 3" h

1 round 18" silver (top is 18" flares out to 22" bottom) x 4"h

Square Silver One each 18", 16", 14" all 6"h

Brass square one 16" x 6"h

The most common size cake I make is a round 4 tier 6,8,10,12.
I also make a fair amount of 5 tier cakes 6,8,10,12,14
of course I am already set for the smaller 3 tier cakes with the two 14" plateaus, which is fine considering I am more likely to do 1 larger cake and a couple small 3 tier wedding cakes on the same weekend.

the largest size tier my oven will hold is 16".

My dilemma is whether to purchase a round 16"x6"h OR a round 18"x 6"h. I love the height of the 6" tall plateau it adds a lot of drama. Looking back I wish I had bought a round set from the beginning and not a square set, but I got a deal on the square ones. I am leaning toward the 16"round plateau as that is the size I do not have yet. However, I am wondering if the 4 tier cakes would look good on the 18 as well as the 16. Hard to say as the way my current 18" flares to 22" anything smaller than a 14" cake looks overwhelmed. Not sure if a normal 18" plateau would be the same way or if it is the flare to 22" that creates that feeling.

So what do you think 16"x 6"h or 18" x 6h" ?

3 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 1:24am
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebelle74

The most common size cake I make is a round 4 tier 6,8,10,12.

However, I am wondering if the 4 tier cakes would look good on the 18 as well as the 16.

So what do you think 16"x 6"h or 18" x 6h" ?

(First of all, I think you own too many!) I don't think your 4-tier cakes that have a 12" base tier would look as good on an 18" plateau as they would on a 16" plateau. I think 4" larger than the cake is more than enough, so I'd go with the 16" that you don't already own.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 3:50am
post #3 of 4

My point of view is different to that of CWR41...

Reason being - when i do a 12 inch round cake i sit it on a 16 inch fondant covered cake board - which then looks in proportion to the silver plateau cake stand.

Some place their cakes on boards ony two inches larger than the cake - not me.
Of course - each to their own.

I have a 22 inch round and a 16 inch square

Both of mine are just on 6 inches tall - and like you - i love the height.

Next week i will be ordering a smaller round and a larger square....
You can't have to many IMO - lollllllllll
I do many Weddings where cupcakes are made to match the wedding cake - so by having a varity of plateaus that are the same design i can utilize them on the long wedding cake tables.

Now - after all that rambling - i would buy the largest of the two... thumbs_up.gif
One good thing about them is that they can lay inside each other for storing.

Bluehue

ymmat77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ymmat77 Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 2:54am
post #4 of 4

Wanting to buy a few cake plateaus to have to rent to brides.....have one that can't hold the weight of a 4 tiered cake. Any brand suggestions or websites? I got my "weak" one at saveoncrafts. Nothing wrong with it, just only holds smaller cakes.

I have looked on amazon, just can't tell over internet if it's sturdy. Looking to buy silver 18 inch round and square.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%