Making Life Size Fruit And Vegetables

Decorating By cakewhiz Updated 5 Sep 2012 , 2:09am by heartsnsync

cakewhiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewhiz Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 4:55am
post #1 of 4

I need to make some life size fruit and vegetables for a basket cake I am making. What would you make your fruit & vegetables out of? I know many of you use a rice krispie treat base covered in fondant. Do you put the fondant on extra thick so the bumps and lumps of the rice krispie treats do not show through? I do believe I read once that someone crushed the rice krispies and then added the marshmallow mixture so the finished rice krispies were smoother. Any directions or tips on fruit and vegetable making would be helpful. I sincerely appreciate any help you can offer to me.

3 replies
arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 5:05am
post #2 of 4

I used RKT for the first time just recently. Loved it. Before, I'd just make everything out of g/paste. I'd suggest just squish the RKT as smooth as you can then use your b/cream to give your fondant something smooth to adhere to.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 4

Make these out of cake ball mixture (cake crumbs and cuttercream). Chill well and then cover with a crumb coat of buttercream, then your rolled out paste.

FYI this is the method that Joseph Lambeth used for his fancy lifesized fruit can vegetable cakes.

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 2:09am
post #4 of 4

I have made life size fruit before. What I did was to make rice crispy treat mixture with the rice cereal crushed fairly fine instead of as is. Also, apply a layer of white modeling chocolate over the rice crispy treats, smooth it out and do some additional details for shape, etc. then add the fondant. Have the fondant pre-colored for the base of the fruit or vegetable so that minimal dusting and highlighting will be necessary. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%