Cake Dummy Pricing

Business By Enilajar Updated 3 Sep 2012 , 12:50pm by sillywabbitz

Enilajar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enilajar Posted 2 Sep 2012 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 7

I have a mother of the groom requesting pricing for a cake to feed apx. 150 people but has sent me pics if a couple of 6 tiered cakes. I have never done dummy tiers, what do you charge for them, (I usually charge around 4.50 a sercing for "milestone" cakes) also what should you charge for rhinestones? Appreciate any help!!!!

6 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Sep 2012 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 7

I charge 80% of the cost of regular cake for a dummy tier because it takes just as long and just as many materials to decorate them. My only savings is the cost of ingredients (which is offset by the cost of the dummy) plus the mixing time, which is no big deal.

Rhinestones, I don't know.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 2 Sep 2012 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 7

Great place to get diamonds/rhinestones/crystals for cakes: http://www.diamondpartyconfetti.com/Home_Page.html

Like Czar said, alot of the savings on ingredients is offset by the cost & shipping of cake dummies. While they are inexpensive, the shipping is outrageous especially for large ones! Price out what you will need before offering a quote.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 3:08am
post #4 of 7

Does anyone ask for the dummies to be returned? I was wondering if treating it like a deposit item might be an option.

chocolatejody Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatejody Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 3:34am
post #5 of 7

I would also make sure she is asking for dummies. She may not know how much cake feeds how many people. 6 tiers to us is alot, but may not seem like it to someone who doen't know wedding cake serving size of portions.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 11:23am
post #6 of 7

It's so not worth asking for the dummies to be returned. Even if you did that it would reduce your cost by about $10 at the most, which is nothing in the big picture. Plus you'd have to clean it off, so there goes any saved time.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 12:50pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks costumeczar. That's what I was curious about.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%