Ribbon Issues

Decorating By francine1115 Updated 3 Sep 2012 , 10:36pm by michellew

francine1115 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
francine1115 Posted 2 Sep 2012 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 6

I am having issues with putting fabric ribbons on tiered cakes. My ribbons always seem to buckle. Does anyone have any tips to help me get a smooth looking ribbon???

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Sep 2012 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 6

Are you using ribbon w/wire at the edges? I've found that usually is the problem. Plain ribbon is best. Also, if the ribbon does have wired edges, pull it out.
Next possible problem would be that your icing is not smooth.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 2 Sep 2012 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 6

I use either satin or paper ribbon with contact paper adhered to the back of it. No wire on ribbon edge. Apply royal icing in a strip on the back of the contact paper and paste ribbon onto cake inch by inch. Be careful to avoid air pockets when applying ribbon to your cakes. Making sure your RI is applied 3/4 the width of the ribbon will help in preventing air pockets.

francine1115 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
francine1115 Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 7:17pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks all, I'm gonna try some of your suggestions. Have any of you heard to soak your ribbons in water first? It is suppose to make ribbon application easier....

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 6

I haven't heard of it. I try to avoid any drops of water on ribbon for my cakes. It leaves a dark wet spot and shows through. Give the contact paper or adhesive paper a try. I got that advice from CC this year and it worked great. Wish I knew years ago.

michellew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellew Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 6

hi, i sometimes wet the ribbon before i apply it, usually when using very thin ribbon, but it does make the ribbon appear darker, but it does stick to the cake much better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%