Advice On Carving Fresh Fruit Cakes Please.

Decorating By Senna27 Updated 2 Sep 2012 , 11:37am by Senna27

Senna27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Senna27 Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 4

I am due to make a 3D Lightning Mcqueen cake. The cake is going to be filled with buttercream and fresh raspberries. I have read that cakes that are to be carved should be frozen first and that it's not a good idea to freeze fresh fruit? Please help icon_smile.gif

3 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 4

If the cake has been baked properly (not too dry) then you can fill and chill it overnight. It will carve just fine.

But you need to pay attention to how long the cake is going to sit at room temperature. Not to mention the complexity of carving a cake with that much filling because the raspberries control the thickness...better to make a fresh raspberry compote to add to the cake after it has been sliced, then you keep that in the fridge and there are no worries.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Sep 2012 , 3:42am
post #3 of 4

I don't fill sculpted cakes.

I will use flavored BC as "glue", but I don't fill them because once I begin carving, odds are about 100% that I'll be carving thru dams and filling--basically defeating the purpose of the dam....

Rae

Senna27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Senna27 Posted 2 Sep 2012 , 11:37am
post #4 of 4

Thank you very much for your replies. I will tell my clients that carved cakes can not be filled with fresh fruit in the future icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%