Wedding Tomorrow - Feel Like Crying :-( Wonky, Uneven Cake!

Decorating By judywoody Updated 4 May 2013 , 1:55am by T8styC8kes

judywoody Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judywoody Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 43

Ok so I've been trying to make this Martha Stewart Chocolate Lace Cake - I don't know what I got myself into! It's for a friend and it's supposed to look like that:

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/sites/files/marthastewartweddings.com/ecl/images/content/pub/weddings/2006Q3/msw_fall_06_piped_dotted_xl.jpg

I have attached the pictures of what it looks like at the moment. First of all, the middle tier (haven't done the bottom tier yet) is slightly wonky..and the icing is pretty bad on the sides of the top tier...Since I can't use a ribbon to hide my sins in this case I don't know what to do icon_sad.gif

Or am I just being over-dramatic and you think it'll look fine in the end?

Not sure why it posts one pictures twice..argh
LL
LL
LL

42 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 43

No one wants to be hurtful. It's pretty awful. I'm sorry. I wish I could say it is ok.

Is it supposed to be that color? It looks like there are splotches of different color. It also looks like it's cracked in alot of places.

The "middle" tier looks good in terms of structure. That top is awful wobblie & weird. I would rebake that or at least crumb coat it to fix it. Are you using some support system? The top looks like it is sinking into the middle.

You are going to fix this. It is going to be wonderful when you are finished. There are plenty of wonderful people here to help!

wafawafa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wafawafa Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 43

Did u use the pan that have that shape ? Or u carved it by ur hand ? Coz it looks uneven dimensions in the cake

It will look good am sure

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 43

Yes, take off the fondant. Go back over the cake with ganache, and use your offset spatula to make that cake the perfect shape. When it's perfectly shaped, refrigerate it until it's quite firm, then reapply the fondant. You still have time to save this.

Is this marshmallow fondant? It looks like it may be. Is it possible to pick up some chocolate satin ice?

judywoody Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 43

Thanks for your honesty icon_smile.gif

In actual fact, it is chocolate satin icing - but my friend wanted it lighter so I put some whitening powder in - not sure if it's the picture but there are not blotches..only cracks..

I am using dowels and boards so not sure why it's sinking - I used shaped tins though - only the middle tier fell apart (I posted about it last night) and I had to reshape the sides. Thing is, I don't have the tins anymore, I had to give them back.

When you say Ganache, do you mean buttercream? And crumb coat - I still haven't figured out how to do it.. I have now finished the bottom tier and that one looks a lot better...

DeliciousDesserts Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 43

Some people use ganache under fondant. I, like you, use buttercream.

Did you knead the satin ice real well? That helps. I've never used whitening powder. Maybe that changed the fondant. I would mix a little white fondant to the brown fondant. New!!! Not this that you've used.

judywoody Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts

Some people use ganache under fondant. I, like you, use buttercream.

Did you knead the real well? That helps. I've never used whitening powder. Maybe that changed the fondant. I would mix a little white fondant to the brown fondant. New!!! Not this that you've used.

Yeah maybe - actually I did knead it well. And to be honest, the colour is my least problem at the mo..haha..I put a piece of extra board underneath the wobbly tier and it looks a lot better - I am more worried about the cracks and uneven edge at the bottom because I can't use a ribbon..This satin icing is actually easier to repair than normal icing I found..I go over the icing with a warm knife. I hope it works...because I am worried if I un-ice the cake, the cake will fall apart..it was a bit of a light cake to begin with..

DeliciousDesserts Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 6:32pm
post #8 of 43

I don't think you need to scrape off all the buttercream but you do need to re-ice it in terms of getting the right shape. Take off the fondant & ice over what you have.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 6:35pm
post #9 of 43

A trick I use for the bottom is to put the cake on something a bit smaller so the edges hang over. Cover with fondant then trim just below cake board.

judywoody Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 7:11pm
post #10 of 43

Ok - I don't know if that's any better...bear in mind, I am not a professional icon_smile.gif

I just hope that the piping can hide any imperfections..I tried to re-shape the cake with butter cream yesterday but it actually made id harder to ice - even though I let it cool.

P.S.: The original has an even color! It just lookes funny in the picture!
LL

TerriLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TerriLynn Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 7:51pm
post #11 of 43

Good recovery. Can't wait to see a photo of the finished cake. thumbs_up.gif

VanillaSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaSky Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 8:56pm
post #12 of 43

Well, IMO, that looks much better than the earlier pic above from approximately the same distance. It's not Ron Ben Israel perfect by any means but it looked like you were heading for the "What the bride asked for/what the bride got" section of Cakewrecks.com before. You are headed in the right direction.

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 9:49pm
post #13 of 43

Looks so much better. Now get piping-the wedding's tomorrow!!

Best of luck!

DeliciousDesserts Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 10:59pm
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaSky

it looked like you were heading for the "What the bride asked for/what the bride got" section of Cakewrecks.com before. You are headed in the right direction.

That was exactly my thought!

judywoody Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 8:28pm
post #15 of 43

Ok so - it's not perfect but she got it for free icon_smile.gif

jk - I am jaded after this, I spent all morning smoothing the edges and corners...And only then I was able to start piping. The result is only mediocre but hey...you live, you learn...(That was my first attempt at piping mind you...)
LL
LL

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 8:33pm
post #16 of 43

This was your first attempt at piping? Wow, I'm very impressed.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 8:41pm
post #17 of 43

It looks SOOO much better!

When I quoted the statement about cakewrecks, I meant the first picture. The second was so much better.

I know it was alot of work. If you are anything like me, you are glad you went back & fixed it. It was like a whole other cake! Seriously!

judywoody Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 8:50pm
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianInFL

This was your first attempt at piping? Wow, I'm very impressed.

Lol, yeah my wrist hurts like hell!!

Thanks @DeliciousDesserts - I am relieved it kind of looked like a cake in the end icon_smile.gif Thanks for your help!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 9:44pm
post #19 of 43

It looks really nice. Good job!!!!

VanillaSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaSky Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 9:52pm
post #20 of 43

Thanks for posting the final pic. You may not be a professional, but this was a professional save! It is hardly mediocre, your friend has a lovely wedding cake that has a unique design and is made by a good friend.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 11:18pm
post #21 of 43

That came out really well, especially since you had so much trouble with it to begin with. You should be proud of yourself!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 2 Sep 2012 , 2:56am
post #22 of 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaSky

Thanks for posting the final pic. You may not be a professional, but this was a professional save! It is hardly mediocre, your friend has a lovely wedding cake that has a unique design and is made by a good friend.

I agree 100%!!! Excellent save and lovely, unique cake. You have some serious talent that you need to expand!

wafawafa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wafawafa Posted 2 Sep 2012 , 5:53am
post #23 of 43

It turns out great
Congrats

Angelfire3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelfire3 Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 2:41pm
post #24 of 43

Absolutely beautiful! Please tell us how the bride loved it.

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 3:23pm
post #25 of 43

Beautiful cake! I wish I could pipe that well icon_redface.gif .

I am sure the bride will love it!

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 3:52pm
post #26 of 43

Knowing how to fix any problem that creeps up is just as important as knowing cake basics. It seems like....problems will always happen. Trick is not to panic I think.

Great job. I would NEVER have attempted to bake a shaped cake...I don't trust my buttercream skills. AND then to cover it in fondant. Good Lord! As a beginner, that has trouble written all over it! But it looks so good. I'm sure the bride will love it.

You should be super proud!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 5:03pm
post #27 of 43

Congratulations!! I admire you for trying this---awesome recovery too!!!

I got those pans and I've never used them since I'm afraid of the shape...afraid of piping too LOL icon_biggrin.gif

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 4:34am
post #28 of 43

Nice save OP!

2xMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2xMiMi Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 4:08pm
post #29 of 43

You did a great job.. icon_biggrin.gif

nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 7:18pm
post #30 of 43

Great Job!!! We all know that feeling too well when you think it will be a total wreck!! You did it!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%