How Easy Is Wilton's Intro Gumpaste/fondant Course?

Decorating By traci_doodle Updated 1 Sep 2012 , 4:45pm by traci_doodle

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 8

I want to take the Wilton class on advanced fondant and gumpaste techniques, but I'm wondering if I should take the intro one first. I've worked with fondant and gumpaste on my own, so I don't know if they go over things I may have missed that I need to know before taking the advanced course. Anyone know? Feel free to look at my gallery.

7 replies
Nonni53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nonni53 Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 8

I walked into the course with no previous experience, just on line tutorials, and did fine. If you already have a knack for gum paste then should have no problems.
Good luck!

traci_doodle Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 8

So, you went to the advanced course and it was fine? I really want to learn how to make gumpaste flowers, and I do much better seeing it done in person, rather than on youtube.

HalifaxMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HalifaxMommy Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 8

It's a very very simple course! The first night was a bit rushed but after that, it was very slow paced

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 4:00am
post #5 of 8

After looking at your gallery, I don't think you'll have any problems with the advanced course. If you're still worried about it, go to the store and flip through the book for the course. You'll do fine.

traci_doodle Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 5:45am
post #6 of 8

Thanks cheatize! The only thing is, they say the previous course is a pre-requisite, but I'm hoping it's more of an don't ask, don't tell type of thing. I mean, they can't seriously ban me from a class for not taking the pre-requisite. It's not Harvard...

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 3:43pm
post #7 of 8

Talk directly to the teacher and tell the teacher your experience so far. The basic course is supposedly a pre-req for all the other ones but I talked to the teacher and she had no problems letting me take the class once I told her about my experience.

I took the flower course where you make the basketweave cake, royal icing flowers, and a few gumpaste flowers like the country rose and then I took the new gumpaste flowers course where you make lilies, stephanotis, etc.... I had zero problems with either previous knowledge needed or my skill level. I had different teachers for each course and neither one had a problem with me skipping the basic cake deco course.

traci_doodle Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 4:45pm
post #8 of 8

How long ago did you take the classes? They changed them recently. It used to be that the basic course was the pre-req for all the others, but now supposedly you have to take course 1 before course2, then course 2 before course 3, etc. The one I want to take is course 4, and I've only taken that first basic course (4 years ago). But it seems like I'd be fine without the others.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%