Choco-Pan, Who Use It?

Decorating By majormichel Updated 5 Sep 2012 , 12:23pm by majormichel

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 5

Want to know who use choco-pan. I want to change from Satin Ice. Is it easy to work with? I understand it rolled out very thin. Is it easy to color? What is your experience working with choco-pan.

4 replies
joyandcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyandcake Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 12:11am
post #2 of 5

I LOVE it! I find it much easier to use than Satin Ice. It is more like modeling chocolate to work with.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 12:32am
post #3 of 5

Biggest problem with choco-pan is that is difficult to handle when it gets too warm. Also, be aware if people have a chocolate allergy. I love the taste, though.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 1:27am
post #4 of 5

Love the taste, but I really don't like to work with it and it's pricey. It has a learning curve that I don't feel the need to climb.

I've used pretty much every fondant at one time or another. My personal favorite is a new brand one the market, FondArt by Albert Uster (auiswiss.com). Comes in white, black, red, green, blue, & yellow. Has every good quality you can think of and it's priced right--about $3.50/lb.

I find that with soft fondants like Choc-Pan, FondX, and sometimes Satin Ice (seems to depend on the batch), if I add in 30-50% Wilton, I get a great tasting & easy working fondant that can be rolled thin and still hold up to standard working practices. The mixture takes color easily and can have tylose/cmc added to it, as needed. Chocolate based fondants have a lot of fat/oil in them and getting rich colors can be difficult. Also using gums to aid in drying and stiffening doesn't work when a lot of fat/oil is present.

HTH
Rae

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%