First Timer - Simcity Cake

Decorating By Bromwich Updated 31 Aug 2012 , 3:08pm by Bromwich

Bromwich Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,

I will start with a simple fact:

'I have only ever made 2 cakes, which although sucessful, means I am what you might call - inexperienced.'

I do, however, have grand idea, and want to make a 'Simcity' themed cake for my girlfriend who is slight obsessed with the game at the moment and who made me an amazing Scrabble cake on my birthday.

I have two idea and attached the sketches, (sorry for the notes, but I was at work).

Idea 1 - For this I was thinking of creating a flat cake with a 2D picture on, that I would colour in.

Idea 2 - A base cake, marbled to show the layers of the earth, and a 3D city made using something like rice crispies covered in fondant?!

So, I guess what I'm wondering is, does anyone have any ideas that might help me, and maybe some suggestions on how to create either one?

I have 2 weeks to create the masterpeice and will try something this weekend so I can easily buy supplies to try.

any help would be great!!

Thank you,

Simon
LL

4 replies
jones5cm Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 5

Oh wow! You are at least ambitious! My humble advice would be for you to start out with the1D or 2D on a sheet cake. It will be simpler, less time consuming, and you won't have to worry about stabilizing it - which is an entire course in its own! I can see that you have artistic talent from your sketch! You could either cover your sheet cake with fondant and paint the scene or cut the buildings, roads, and 'towers' out of different colors of fondant to give it a more 2D effect. Hope this helps and love to see your final producticon_smile.gif

AnnieCahill Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 5

OMG! Lucky girl! I love all things Sims!

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 5

And if your skills with a piping bag or a fondant knife aren't up to your ambitions, there's always the possibility of an edible image.

I'll most likely post pictures of my own current project cake, once it's ready, but I can definitely say that the materials, or at least the materials my local cake supply shop uses, are (at least so far) easier to handle than you could imagine.

Bromwich Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 5

Well I think I may go down the mainly 2D idea with fondant, but when I started drawing it it seemed to go a bit 3D as you can see.

I can block out a lot of the colour with fondant and then maybe add some foliage with green butter cream of something? does that sound right??

I did think about the edible option but it now seems to easy!!

I am going cake accessory shopping tomorrow and will try the actualy cake to begin with to see how much of a task this is going to be.

Want to do the inside of the cake as chocolate and something marble to look like the layers of the earth.

Update to come on sunday i guess!!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%