Need Help With Golden Syrup

Baking By bloch Updated 30 Aug 2012 , 11:14pm by hbquikcomjamesl

bloch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bloch Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 4

Hey Im baking a cake for my sister's birthday. I am not being able to find golden syrup/corn syrup in my area right now. Can you please help with what should I use. Im making chocolate custard for the frosting of the cake. I have honey and maple syrup with me. Dont know if its alright to use that. Or if there is any recipe for golden syrup.

3 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 4

Hi bloch - welcome to CC.

Here is a helpful link for *what to use when out of Honey, Golden Syrup, Maple Syrup and the likes.
Just scroll down the page until you see Golden Syrup.

http://www.joyofbaking.com/IngredientSubstitution.html#ixzz252inZ4TB

Bluehue.

***ETA ............ an l in welcome .... lollll icon_redface.gif

bloch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bloch Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 4

thank u blue hue but I had already seen that my confusion is the substitute for golden syrup is corn syrup n for corn syrup is molasses n light corn syrup n substitute for molasses is honey/maple syrup. So can I use these cause I just need a tablespoon for the frosting. Which do you think is better honey or maple

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 4

Well, according to Wikipedia, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_syrup) "Lyle's Golden Syrup" is an artificial invert sugar syrup, i,e., one in which sucrose has been split into glucose and fructose. As is high fructose corn syrup (Golden Syrup is made from cane sugar, while HFCS is made from ordinary corn syrup).

Honey is a naturally occurring invert sugar syrup (made from flower nectar). I should think that a very mild honey (e.g., clover) would be the closest substitute.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%