Smooth Icing Without Powdered Sugar But No Eggs?

Baking By Annabakescakes Updated 29 Aug 2012 , 11:56pm by Annabakescakes

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 3

I don't like the icings with powdered sugar, due to the grit. But I don't like the ones with eggs... Is there a recipe that uses corn syrup or cooked sugar syrup, but no eggs? And doesn't get crusty? I know there is the one with the cooked flour and sugar, beat with butter, the Wilton one. Is there a better one? It is so soft, it doesn't make good defined swirls. I need it to firm up, a bit, and the "French vanilla" that Wilton has doesn't firm up, uess you refrigerate, then it gets HARD.... Is there one that will firm up a bit without refrigeration, and is super smooth? That has to have at least half butter, with small amounts of icing shortening.

I get raves about mine, but I think it could always be better. I use half shortening and half butter, with real milk, and powdered sugar, and flavor. I whip it for 10 minutes or more, with a paddle in my kitchen aid. It is very smmoth looking, but with a handful of grit.

2 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 3

there's always whipped ganache icon_smile.gif white or dark chocolate

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

there's always whipped ganache icon_smile.gif white or dark chocolate

That's true... But it sure would be expensive! Wonder if you could whip it with butter?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%