Using Unflavored Gelatin To Thicken A Filling?

Baking By mrsclox Updated 30 Aug 2012 , 9:04am by yingguanghong33

mrsclox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsclox Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 7

I've made the "Simple Pineapple filling" by goldenegg twice now. It's too thin both times. I don't want to add 10lbs of powdered sugar to thicken it up so it's the proper consistency for a filling. A couple comments on the recipe suggested adding pudding, but I don't really want to change the flavor with pudding. Do you think I could add some unflavored gelatin to thicken it up? Or even some cornstarch dissolved in some pineapple juice?

Thanks in advance for your help!

6 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 7

I checked this recipe out of curiosity.

I think it is really important to drain your pineapple until it is almost dry. I squeeze it in a sieve until no more liquid comes out. The extra can then be added in if you need to make this the right consistency. But adding it straight from the can with juice means that you get an uncontrolled amount of juice...one comment had the same problem.

If you used canned pineapple, then you can add gelatin. Dissolve a measured teaspoon of gelatin in a tablespoon of water, and then melt that over hot water. Cream it in and then let the mixture set in the fridge for about a half hour--not until hard, just firmer, and then mix it again.

mrsclox Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 7

I drained the pineapple this time because of the problems I had the first time. The problem is, without the juice, the pineapple flavor isn't nearly as strong. I really want a stronger flavor, but don't know how to do it without just using a bottle of flavoring and getting the consistency I need. I tripled the recipe (making a wedding cake). Should I use 3 tsp of gelatin?

mrsclox Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 7

And can I dissolve the gelatin in the pineapple juice that I saved? That would help add some flavor back in.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 7

Yes for 3X you need 3 teaspoons of gelatine.

I use two different ingredients to make a stronger pineapple flavour: concentrated frozen juice, and LorAnn candy flavouring oil.

The concentrated juice is the best but CANNOT be used with gelatine. It has an enzyme that might even trash cream cheese. Best to use it in buttercream.

If you have time to go to a crafts store that sells candy flavours, they probably have the LorAnn in the dram size (a teaspoon). This will do 2 wedding cakes as it is very strong. I buy the ounce bottle of this because it makes a really good tasting icing.

Failing that, if you still can find the McCormicks pineapple extract, that is very good tasting too.

mrsclox Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 7

I do have easy access to LorAnn flavorings. I'll pick one up.

I added 3t of gelatin dissolved in 3T water, mixed it and let it sit in the fridge for about 40 minutes. It doesn't seem any thicker. Will it continue to thicken up as it sits? Or should I keep adding more gelatin until I'm satisfied?

Thank you so much for your help!

yingguanghong33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yingguanghong33 Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 9:04am
post #7 of 7

Failing that, if you still can find the McCormicks pineapple extract, that is very good tasting too.Image

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%