Border Edging

Decorating By fcakes Updated 1 Sep 2012 , 4:15pm by DeniseNH

fcakes Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 9

Can someone please help me in figuring out how the top border was made on this cake? The triangle/diamond-like border with a serrated kind of edge around both the cake tiers? TIA!!


8 replies
DeniseNH Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 9

Oh sure, it's a metal impression tool. You press the metal tool against the fondant then squeeze the handle slightly and it makes an impression. Of course now that you ask - I'm having a major brain freeze and can't think of the name - but they come in all kinds of shapes and look like an oversized pair of tweezers. Now watch when I log off it will come to me. WAIT.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CRIMPERS!

Lynne3 Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 9

I believe it was done with a crimper tool

BlakesCakes Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 9
Originally Posted by Lynne3

I believe it was done with a crimper tool

I agree--I think it's a diamond crimper:


fcakes Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 11:02am
post #5 of 9

Thank you everyone!! So it has to be used after covering the cake with fondant?

Any idea where I can find it locally? In michaels or hobby lobby? I have to do that cake in a couple days and can't order online.

leah_s Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 12:26pm
post #6 of 9

Its a pretty specialized tool. I'd doubt the craft stores would have it.

Bluehue Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 12:41pm
post #7 of 9

Here you go fcakes...
They are freely available on Amazon.
This set is a good buy - as you get 8 different crimpers in the set.
thumbs_up.gif ....... plus the tidy box to keep them in.

If you run your mouse over the picture you will see the Diamond one....3rd from the left.


fcakes Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 4:46am
post #8 of 9

Thnx!! I checked the craft stores today and none had them.... Can't order online coz I need it in 2days... Any tips on doing that without the crimper?

DeniseNH Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 4:15pm
post #9 of 9


Quote by @%username% on %date%