Help Needed With Bollywood Cake Please

Decorating By samgill99 Updated 29 Aug 2012 , 7:39pm by samgill99

samgill99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samgill99 Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 4

Hi
I need help with ideas for a bollywood cake. I have lots of red fondant, gold luster dust and last week I made 2 10" round cakes and an 8" round cake (all 4" tall). In addition I made a barbie form for an indian barbie to sit on top. All cakes are in the freezer and I have to come up with a design and complete by Friday. Originally I thought I would put the 2 10" cakes together to make it 8" high (with the 8" sitting on top of that, and then the barbie on top) but I realized after that it would be too hard to for me to put fondant on what would now be an 10" round that's 8" high. Also, the cake isn't quite sitting nicely on top of the other, there is big gap in the middle of the 2 10" rounds. So I'm not quite sure what to do. Does anyone have any ideas of how to make this come together and look nice? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was going to cover all in red fondant and paint gold henna design (I have a couple of small stencils).
Thank you

3 replies
Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Quote:

I realized after that it would be too hard to for me to put fondant on what would now be an 10" round that's 8" high. Also, the cake isn't quite sitting nicely on top of the other, there is big gap in the middle of the 2 10" rounds.

You could put the two 10" rounds together and band the center of the cake with a ribbon and brooch. The henna could go on the top of the tall bottom layer. The ribbon could be golden

You can then place the dancer on the top layer. Perhaps add tassels around the top layer .
I have attached two pictures that may help what I am trying to say
LL
LL

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 4

The tops of the cakes have to be cut flat, or else you fill the gaps with lots of buttercream or similar icing. The cakes will also have to be coated thinly with the buttercream before the fondant can be used.

To cover a 10" diameter cake 8" high with fondant, you cover the top with a circle and the side with a long strip. Roll out a much bigger strip and cut the sides straight. Then coil your strip up with a piece of baking parchment paper so that you can apply it while holding your cylinder as close to the side of the cake as possible, to avoid stretching.

samgill99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samgill99 Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both - I think I will stack both cakes and use one of your methods for covering with fondant. There seems no way around that - just going to be very messy at cutting time.

Also, how would I colour the middle tier (8" round) gold as opposed to red? Would I get a gold spray paint or brush on the luster dust instead? And would the cake be too wet then if I painted it on?

Thank

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%