Baking With Gold Dust

Decorating By GOLDENBAKER Updated 11 Sep 2012 , 3:48pm by GOLDENBAKER

GOLDENBAKER Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GOLDENBAKER Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 12:39am
post #1 of 4

Good day all, is there anyone that could tell me if applying Gold Dust to unbaked puff pastry, egg washing it than baking it does it have the same effect, comparing to when applying it to the baked product.
I,m trying to emboss and colour the embossing with gold then baking it. please advise further
regards
Golden Baker.

3 replies
cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 12:45am
post #2 of 4

I can tell you that the gold dust probably won't be that noticeable if you apply it before baking, but the only way to know for sure if it will work is to try it. thumbs_up.gif

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 1:12am
post #3 of 4

When you bake puff pastry it PUFFS up at least 6 times its height (more if it was made well). The embossing will be completely lost in this large expansion.

Pastry chefs who decorate with puff pastry shapes cut them and bake them separately, and then attach them. If you want to emboss and then bake, then you must use some pastry recipe that will NOT puff up very much.

In any case it is better to apply gold after baking to make sure that the crust is fully baked. Gold coloured undercooked dough will not make a good impression.

GOLDENBAKER Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GOLDENBAKER Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 4

To:BakingIrene and cakefan92 firstly appologies for the late reply. I would like to thank you for your response to my question. I have tried all the above but was unsucessful, It seems as if I need to keep on trying.

Kind Regards
Golden Baker

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%