I Need To Vent

Decorating By gimmesugar Updated 2 Sep 2012 , 6:08pm by Godot

gimmesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gimmesugar Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 3:28am
post #1 of 10

I've agreed to make a 3D cake that resembles someone's home. It's a small cake that'll only need to feed 10-15 people... and I told the customer that I would get the cake to resemble the home... and gave them a quote they agreed to. In the last few days they have been blowing up my emails with additional pictures of this house and want almost an exact replica of it! They know I'm a home baker and they only gave me 4 days notice, which I could do but not if they want a replica of their house; which is why I told them I'd get it to resemble the house. :/ If they wanted all the details they're now telling me to add to the cake, I wish they would've said it up front and I would've charged more for the additional materials and time I'll need to spend. How do I tell them to either stick with the original plan or I'm going to up the price?

I'm actually thinking about quitting cake making. I seem to only get customers needing small birthday cakes which end up costing me more in time and $ than the business I get from them icon_sad.gif

9 replies
heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 3:38am
post #2 of 10

Just very nicely respond and say, "Yes, I can add that but it will be an additional $$. Would you like to pay that additional charge for this upgrade?"

In no other business could you call and ask for more product and expect not to pay so why think you could do that with a cake?

You were very nice to agree to do this in four days time. I would have said no as I require a longer notice and payment up front for cakes involving detail like that.

ChristineCMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineCMC Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 3:39am
post #3 of 10

I would just send them a reply, saying that these additional features they wanted added are going to cost X more as they were not part of your original quote. Period. Don't work for nothing.

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 3:48am
post #4 of 10

Hi,

I have had customers that would do the same thing But, as soon as they would say "oh can you add this that and the other" My response is "sure thing but there will be an additional charge". Sometimes they agree and sometimes they stick to the original plans. I also give my customer a final date as to when they are not allowed to make any changes to the order, this helps me to keep from being frazzled with a cake order.

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 10

We really have to start charging extra, and not feeling guilty about it. If someone quote you a price for laminate counter tops, I doubt they would even consider doing granite for the same price...lol.

MamaMia808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMia808 Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 12:12am
post #6 of 10

I agree with the replies. You should let them know that you will need to charge for additional work. You should never feel like you weren't properly compensated for your time and work. Don't feel guilty about it! They'd never ask someone else to do extra work and not expect to pay for it.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 12:52am
post #7 of 10

I recently had a customer that after we agreed on colors, tiers, design wanted to add some fondant figures. In my reply to her I simply stated, that will be fine, I'll let you know the price for the additional details. She replied that she had changed her mind and would go with what we had agreed upon.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 1:11am
post #8 of 10

I love this reply: I can do anything you're willing to pay for.

LisieAn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisieAn Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 5:18pm
post #9 of 10

Good luck!

Get clients to sign the cake plan--at least for me, I then feel even more justified in telling them that a new cake cake plan means a new price.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 2 Sep 2012 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 10

Oh good grief. You need to stop faffing about and take control of this situation. You make the decisions for your business instead of letting the customer dictate to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%