Am I stupid to make . . . . .

Decorating By CupcakeQT82 Updated 27 Aug 2012 , 7:39pm by AnnieCahill

CupcakeQT82 Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 7

Is it stupid of me to try making MMF for the first time for the wedding cake I have in 2 weeks? I went to my cake store to buy some Satin Ice fondant but at $12 for 2 lb I couldn't justify spending that much money on fondant! So for the first time I might make my own fondant but is this something I should not attempt for a 3 tier square wedding cake that is calculated to need 9 lb of fondant???

6 replies
AnnieCahill Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 7

I would say make it now and try it to see how you like it. I tried MMF once and it didn't work for me. That doesn't mean I won't try it again, but I wouldn't do it for the first time on a wedding cake.

ConnieJ Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 7

If you've never tried it before, I would at least do a practice run. You don't want to find out day of that it was not what you expected. I have a recipe for fondant (not MMF) that has a similar consistency as Satin Ice but costs a fraction to make versus what you would pay for Satin Ice: http://thecookduke.com/fondant-recipe/

kryptonite Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 7

Ugh...I feel ya. Satin Ice is almost $19 for 2 pounds around here icon_surprised.gif

AnnieCahill Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 7

There is also Michele Foster's fondant recipe which you can find in the Most Saved Recipes section.

BlakesCakes Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 7

Another option is to get the 50% off Michael's coupons available this week and buy 5 lbs. of Wilton fondant.

You can mix it with either Satin Ice or MMF, 50/50, and get a wonderful tasting, easy to work with product. I do it all of the time.

If you're not very experienced with fondant, it's a good way to get the hang of using it.

If you want, you could bring along some friend and use multiple 50% off coupons and buy some Duff's fondant as well and mix that with the Wilton. Again, a great product to use and eat.

HTH
Rae

AnnieCahill Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 7

Yes Rae that's what I do. I mix Wilton with Duff and people go NUTS over it. NUTS. I don't get it but whatevs. It works!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%