Coffee Cake?

Baking By Claire138 Updated 3 Sep 2012 , 5:31pm by Claire138

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 30

I've been searching for a coffee cake recipe for a while but have had no luck so am asking any of my fellow CC'ers if they have a good recipe. Any coffee cake recipe that has loads of good reviews then turns out to not be coffee cake but is so called bc it's good to eat with a cup of coffee!
Any help or ideas much appreciated,

Claire

29 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 30

Please describe the type of coffee cake you have in mind. Yeasted? Sour cream? Fruited? Streusel?

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 2:47am
post #3 of 30

If you want a coffee flavoured cake, then you could use a cake mix. Add a tablespoon of instant coffee to the water in the measuring cup and stir until it has dissolved.

Or you could use a recipe with at least a half cup milk, to which you also add the instant coffee or instant espresso. Lots of coffee chiffon cake recipes out there that do the same with the water.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 4:33am
post #4 of 30

If making a dark chocolate mud cake you can subistute some of the liquid with a shot of expresso coffee...using a stronger flavour coffee of course.
This will give you a very suitable adult flavour cake.... a lovely moist and delicious cake....or you could add a coffee essance to a chocolate cake of your choice.
Plus you can add a splash of coffee oil to a ganache...this would give you a coffee flavour through out the cake without actually flavouring the cake.

Just a few ideas for you to choose from.

Bluehue

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 10:52am
post #5 of 30

Thank you everyone for your PM's. (My recipe pairing fruit with coffee was a best-seller during the holidays!) I'm away right now but as soon as I'm back in the office I will send you the recipe you requested.

Claire138 Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 30

I'm looking for a sponge style coffee cake, something I can carve well and tastes delicious. I'm wondering if (following suggestions that I sub some of the liquid be it milk or water) if I make a regular sponge cake and instead of the cup of milk I add coffee or do you think that will make it too loose? The milk I use is soy milk and I know that it is thinner than regular milk & it works very well but obviously water is water so am not sure...The chocolate cake I make already has a fair amount of coffee in it (two and half Tbs) but bc it also has 1 cup of cocoa in it it is a chocolate cake rather than coffee cake. any help much appreciated.

pinkfluffycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkfluffycupcake Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 30
BakingIrene Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire138

I'm looking for a sponge style coffee cake, something I can carve well and tastes delicious. I'm wondering if (following suggestions that I sub some of the liquid be it milk or water) if I make a regular sponge cake and instead of the cup of milk I add coffee or do you think that will make it too loose? The milk I use is soy milk and I know that it is thinner than regular milk & it works very well but obviously water is water so am not sure...The chocolate cake I make already has a fair amount of coffee in it (two and half Tbs) but bc it also has 1 cup of cocoa in it it is a chocolate cake rather than coffee cake. any help much appreciated.

Add powdered coffee to the soy milk. That way the balance will not be affected in any way.

Use 1-2 tablespoons powder to a cup of milk (stronger than the brewing instructions) because you have flour sugar etc to bulk it up.

Chill the cake overnight before carving. Makes all kinds of cake carve easier.

Claire138 Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 7:30pm
post #9 of 30

That sounds great, thank you. I will let you know how it goes.

Claire138 Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 7:51am
post #10 of 30

OK, so I made my regular sponge and added 3 TBS of instant coffee to the milk, problem is that aside from the colour it actually just tastes like vanilla sponge. I'm baffled and so disappointed. Any thoughts?

Bluehue Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 8:10am
post #11 of 30

[quote="Claire138"]OK, so I made my regular sponge and added 3 TBS of instant coffee to the milk, problem is that aside from the colour it actually just tastes like vanilla sponge. I'm baffled and so disappointed. Any thoughts?[/quote

INSTANT coffee incorporated with Milk - Eggs - Vanilla and Flour would not have been strong enough for that over riding taste.
You would be better off incorporating 2 strong shots of Expresso Coffee...
Yes, the colour of your baked cake will change naturally, due to the coffee - but the taste will be there.

The taste of instant coffee disipates when mixed with so many other caking ingrediants... plus the cooking process.

I only add shots of coffee to my mud cakes - whether dark mud or white.

Bluehue

Claire138 Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 8:15am
post #12 of 30

Thanks Maxine, I'm an instant coffee drinker myself but my husband drinks the capsules that go into the coffee maker, is that what you are talking about? or is it the powdered stuff that you mix up yourself?

Bluehue Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 8:38am
post #13 of 30
Quote:

Thanks Maxine, I'm an instant coffee drinker myself but my husband drinks the capsules that go into the coffee maker, is that what you are talking about? Yes, that is the coffee i am talking about.
On the coffee machine there should be a switch/dial/button that you can set to *shot* - which will make a small ammount of strong coffee.... I use two of those when making a coffee flavoured cake... - remember to use that as some of the liquid all ready called for in your recipe - and not add it as extra -otherwise you will have too much liquid when mixing your batter....
or is it the powdered stuff that you mix up yourself? - No, this coffee is too weak in taste..... even if you add a few tablespoons - you want the *hit* of coffee... thus using the shots. thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue

Claire138 Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 8:43am
post #14 of 30

Ah ok, now I have to wait for my husband to come home bc I have no idea how the machine works. There appear to be 2 types of coffees that can be made 1 small and 1 even smaller but I don't dare touch it, it's my nemesis (the one time I made him a coffee from the machine everything over flowed everywhere, I don't know what I did wrong & my husband couldn't work it out either as he said there is no button for what I made happen)!
Thanks!

Bluehue Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 8:52am
post #15 of 30
Quote:

Ah ok, now I have to wait for my husband to come home bc I have no idea how the machine works. There appear to be 2 types of coffees that can be made 1 small and 1 even smaller This one would be the *shot* one....but I don't dare touch it,

it's my nemesis (the one time I made him a coffee from the machine everything over flowed everywhere, I don't know what I did wrong & my husband couldn't work it out either as he said there is no button for what I made happen)!
Sorry for bursting out laughing - i had that happen to me one time when making coffees - couldn't do it again if i tried - lollllllllll.
Hmmmm, yes, wait for DH to come home - let him be the *Master of the Shots* - lolll

Bluehue
Thanks!

Claire138 Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 9:07am
post #16 of 30

Laugh away! it's funny now but it wasn't at the time, the clean up was awful. I will let you know how it goes.

Bluehue Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 9:56am
post #17 of 30
Quote:

Laugh away! it's funny now but it wasn't at the time, the clean up was awful. I will let you know how it goes.

I didnot laugh at the time either - but your mishap reminded me of my mistake... loll

Yes, come back and tell us how your cake turns out - please

Bluehue

Claire138 Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 3:07pm
post #18 of 30

The batter tastes delicious, I will keep you posted icon_wink.gif

BakingIrene Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 3:38pm
post #19 of 30
Quote:

OK, so I made my regular sponge and added 3 TBS of instant coffee to the milk, problem is that aside from the colour it actually just tastes like vanilla sponge. I'm baffled and so disappointed. Any thoughts?

I'm sorry that it was too weak. I like this mild version. But I see that you have your COFFEE flavour instead of my "coffee" version ready.

Bluehue Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 4:05pm
post #20 of 30
Quote:

The batter tastes delicious, I will keep you posted icon_wink.gif

So far so good thumbs_up.gif
Bluehue

Claire138 Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 5:58pm
post #21 of 30

Ok,it's out and tested and I'm still disappointed. It still doesn't taste like coffee, or maybe doesn't taste enough like coffee. Ugh. Will try again tomorrow, am just too tired now. I made 2 of those small expressos and put them in measuring out the amount so as to lessen the milk but for some reason it's still vanilla cake.
As to the coffee making, Maxine this is for you. So my DH comes in, I explain my predicament, he has to run so shows me how to make the coffee going through it very precisely. He leaves. I turn the machine on, put the capsule in, wait for the light to stop flashing, press the button & get nothing but boiled water! I start panicking thinking I must have broken the machine or something, my sister from Nevada chooses that precise moment to call me, I explain what's going on & very calmly she says "did you push the capsule in all the way"? Ah ha! panic over, I made the coffee but am now left with 4, 2 inch 9x9 coffee coloured sponge cakes
Anyway....... Should I add more coffee?

Claire138 Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 5:59pm
post #22 of 30

Or, if anyone has a good coffee cake recipe they are willing to share, I'd really appreciate it.

BakingIrene Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 6:17pm
post #23 of 30

Actually, the solution now might be to mix more of that brewed coffee with a little sugar to make a syrup. Drizzle that over your baked cake to enhance the flavour of the coffee.

The other answer would be to purchase a coffee oil flavouring but I can't recommend a brand.

Claire138 Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 6:25pm
post #24 of 30

That sounds like a great idea, I shall definitely do that. Thanks!

Bluehue Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 6:39pm
post #25 of 30

The two suggestions that Irene posted are well worth a try ... thumbs_up.gif

I did a Google and found this - it seems to be one of the best....

This LorAnn Coffee Oil Flavour is 3 to 4 times stronger than grocery store extracts. When substituting LorAnn Coffee Oil Flavour for extracts, use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon for 1 teaspoon of extract. LorAnn Coffee Oil Flavour does not contain vegetable oil and unlike extracts it's flavour does not diminish when exposed to high heat. LorAnn Coffee Oil Flavour is suitable for hard candy, candy centers, fondants, frostings, fudges, cakes, cookies, brownies and sweet breads. Kosher Certified. Gluten Free & Sugar Free Contains: Artificial flavour, Water, Propylene Glycol, Caramel Color. Soluble in water. Appropriate for use in chocolates and coatings. Each bottle contains 1 dram which is approximately 3.7ml.

Hope this is of help....

Bluehue

Claire138 Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 6:58pm
post #26 of 30

Thank you both for your help, I will give the easier option a try first and if that doesn't work I will order the coffee oil. Much; much appreciated.

Bluehue Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 7:01pm
post #27 of 30
Quote:

Thank you both for your help, I will give the easier option a try first and if that doesn't work I will order the coffee oil. Much; much appreciated.

thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

Claire138 Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 5:01pm
post #28 of 30

Ok, so I finally had a chance to try out drizzling some coffee on top of the cake, I then spread some chocolate ganache on top - delicious, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much.

Bluehue Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 5:06pm
post #29 of 30
Quote:

Ok, so I finally had a chance to try out drizzling some coffee on top of the cake, I then spread some chocolate ganache on top - delicious, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much.

Excellant - glad you found the taste you were after....Afterall - its the taste that matters...
Thank you for letting us know........................appreciated.

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

Claire138 Posted 3 Sep 2012 , 5:31pm
post #30 of 30

You're welcome, once again thanks to everyone here on CC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%