Fresh Flowers

Decorating By owatto Updated 26 Aug 2012 , 9:05pm by kakeladi

owatto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
owatto Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 10:32am
post #1 of 3

Hi Everyone!

I have been asked to do wedding cake with fresh Singapore Orchids to match her bouquet.
How do I go about putting the fresh flowers on the cake. Do I just add a bit of royal icing and put them where I want or do I have to wrap the base in cling film then attach it... or do I stab it with wire and stick that in?
Any help is appreciated!

Olivia

2 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 3

Ask the bride to provide the orchids and pay for them. That way she is guaranteed a good match. Florists can provide flowers with short stems for a better price than long stems.

Then you buy some plastic flower cake spikes like this

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=8F4FB5D8-1E0B-C910-EA7EA032AAE54B0C&killnav=1

They have space inside for water. Stick these into the cake, add water at the last minute with a dropper, and add the flower stems.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 3

.....How do I go about putting the fresh flowers on the cake...
You don't! icon_sad.gif Fresh flowers are heavily treated with pesticides to keep them bug free. Do you really want that on a cake?? There are some florists who sell flowers for use on food but they are VERY! expensive. Many florists will not inform a bride about the use of pesticides.

....add a bit of royal icing and put them where I want....or do I stab it with wire and stick that in?.........
Heavens No!!!!!! Never put uncovered wire in a cake.

.....wrap the base in cling film then attach it........
Wrap the stem in wet cotton, then in cling film before placing them in a plastic drink straw. Using those pics mentioned will make *huge* holes in the cake. Straws are a much better choice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%