Lookijng For A Different Buttercream Recipe To Try

Decorating By bostonterrierlady Updated 26 Aug 2012 , 8:58pm by kakeladi

bostonterrierlady Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 5:23am
post #1 of 4

I have been trying Sharons Buttercream and it it jusdt not working for me. Seems real heavy.
i folled the recipe and method. When I go to use it it is gummy and to thick. I want a crusting recipe but I want it soft and thinner. Whe you thin a icing what do you use? More liquid or shortening? I would like a recipe that crust but barely. Hi ratio seems to make it heavier. It was smooth qwhen I made it and then I went back to use it and it had air in it. This has happened to me several times and I am ready for a change.

3 replies
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 4

Hmm. "Seems Real Heavy." Then I guess that would also rule out "the buttercream recipe that's been on the back of the C&H Powdered Sugar box since before most of us were born," as it's quite dense (I like dense, stiff, non-whipped BC, and don't especially care for typical bakery frostings). icon_razz.gif

BakingIrene Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 4

Add more HOT water to the icing you have already mixed. Whip longer. 2-3 ounces of water should do it.

What is probably happening is that your coffee creamier mix is getting stiffer with time. Mixing it ahead of time and checking that it still flows like cream will prevent your issue.

I use heavy or whipping cream in buttercream in place of the creamer. I add as much as needed to make a soft consistency for covering, stiffer for piping. It whips up fluffy and you can make a nice smooth finish. It crusts lightly. It does NOT have a room temperature shelf life.

kakeladi Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 4

......I want a crusting recipe but I want it soft and thinner.....
....would like a recipe that crust but barely......

Try this one. You can adjust the amount of fat to crust as much or as little as you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%