Maraschino Cherries On Fondant

Decorating By keyota Updated 26 Aug 2012 , 1:47pm by BakingIrene

keyota Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyota Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 4:25am
post #1 of 4

I have a request for a fondant groom's cake with the maraschino cherries in syrup piled on it. Can this be done? Would think that the cherries even if drained and dried would still damage fondant.

3 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 6:51am
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyota

I have a request for a fondant groom's cake with the maraschino cherries in syrup piled on it. Can this be done? Would think that the cherries even if drained and dried would still damage fondant.
They will stain the Fondant thats for sure..and make the fondant soggy and gummy in texture...... It can be done, but i would think that within 15 minutes of doing it the cake will look like an unholy mess. Perhasp the Groom is wanting *that* look.......shrug. Pouring them (with some syrup) over an uncovered cake would be better - especially if the cake were chocolate...sure the cake will be MOIST - i have done this in the past with Fresh Blueberries...

Bluehue

3D-Sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3D-Sweets Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 11:52am
post #3 of 4

Hm, big challenge. Could you create a tray of sorts out of chocolate or candy clay (whatever color will hide the best) and pile the cherries into/on that last minute? I'm thinking the candy won't dissolve like the fondant will, though it'll be harder to cut through molded chocolate than candy clay. I'd definitely experiment first - good luck!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 4

Well for one thing syrup doesn't "pile" so you will have to use something else anyway.

The cherries themselves can be dried on paper towels overnight, OR you use candied cherries and dry them off well.

For the "syrup" you use tinted piping gel. Some LorAnn cherry flavour will be OK as you only need drops of that stuff.

When these are added at the last minute when placing the cake on the table, they will do what the customer wants without too much staining.

A candy clay shallow tray would also be good. It will contain the drips except those that are intentionally allowed to drop onto the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%