My Stomach Is In Knots Over Wedding Cake Pickup!

Business By CarolLee Updated 27 Aug 2012 , 7:16pm by costumeczar

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 3:10am
post #31 of 37

It's possible that you might not hear anything else from them. I'd get any information you can (photos etc) then just sit on what you have.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 3:28pm
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

It's possible that you might not hear anything else from them. I'd get any information you can (photos etc) then just sit on what you have.

Yeah...I'm wondering if your friend could get a hold of the picture showing your cake sitting in it's venue?

Really....in trying to resolve the issue, should you be contacted further...I'm thinking EVERYONE takes wedding pics & they obviously took one of the cake. So, that could be part of your follow up questions. Do you have a picture of the issue? Do you have ANY pictures of the cake?

Is it appropriate to call the venue? They would have cut the cake right? Not sure if that's the right thing to do as a business owner. But, approached calmly - maybe asking them if there were there any issues with the cake having fallen apart on them while cutting?

Okay - outside of all that - this is the "swirl" I referred to earlier. You were ALL in knots because you anticipated bad reviews. Probably mortified that your product didn't hold up some how. The initial story sounded a bit off to you...but I'm sure somewhere in your mind you were thinking oh boy....that would suck if the cake really did crumble. NOW, that these people appear to be duping you trying to get a discount of some sort....you're p.o'd. and rightfully so. I COMPLETELY understand. I take myself on the same rollercoaster ride of emotions.

TRY NOT TO STIR YOUR OWN POT! Be cool. Unfortunately there are Mr. Nasty Nastykins out there everywhere. Maybe Grandma and Grandpa didn't have a bit of trouble. Maybe it's just the bride trying to get some cash? Who knows. I'm disappointed that there are so many scammers out there.... It's upsetting.

I think it'll be fine. Write out your follow up questions should you speak to the bride again. Then, make a contract - and it sounds like a separate "pick up" disclaimer.

Still - somewhere in my brain I'd be trying to get your friend to snag that photo. The ornery side of me would LOVE to have it in my back pocket in case the bride gets ba-jiggity. You could whip it out and essentially say "suck it"! hahahaha! Of course...I'd never ACTUALLY do THAT. But, it's fun to think about!

lifesacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifesacake Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 3:57pm
post #33 of 37

That's just horrible! I can't believe someone would run a scam for a wedding cake. I guess I can believe it, I just don't want to. So, I have learned a lot from these postings

1. Put a clause in the contract about pickup orders are the responsibility of the person picking it up once it leaves my presence. Make the bride initial beside that clause, even if she's signing the contract. I want to make sure she has thought about the risks involved with not allowing me to deliver it. She may then see the delivery fee may be worth it to her.
2. Take pics of the cake before it's picked up and take pics of the cake with the person picking it up.
3. Have a pick-up form that restates the clause in the contract and any other pertinent instructions and the person picking the cake up must sign it before the cake leaves.
4. Post a sign in my location stating I am not responsible for picked-up products once they leave my location.

Of course, worded much more professionally than that.

I hate you're going through all that drama, but thank you for posting. Because you have shared your experience, you will be able to help others to not have the same experience.[/list]

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 4:11pm
post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesacake

That's just horrible! I can't believe someone would run a scam for a wedding cake.

What's the scam here?

CarolLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolLee Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 6:40pm
post #35 of 37

I guess, Jason, the scam would be that a bride ordered a cake, said the cake didn't make it to the venue except in scraps - a little bit of cake to serve her guests - then took pictures of the bride and groom cutting the very tall cake...

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 6:53pm
post #36 of 37

I suppose the phrase "it was very little by then" is subjective, and the bride was probably thinking more emotionally than rationally, but considering they haven't asked for any money back I wouldn't call it a scam. Not yet anyway.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 7:16pm
post #37 of 37

yeah, if the cake was actually okay then they probably won't take this any further. That's why i suggested to jsut wait. If this is a small town then there are probably people who were there, so word will get around about what really happened one way or another. Or no word will get around if nothing happened.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%