Decorating A Cake While On Holiday Need Advice

Decorating By helen_freud Updated 26 Aug 2012 , 7:46am by mckaren

helen_freud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helen_freud Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 4

hi everyone x
i really hope someone can give me some advice. im going to spain to visit my parents and while im there im making my dad a birthday cake, it will be 40 degrees C and im not use to working in that heat as i live in the uk. i will be covering the cake in white sugar paste / foundant and the part of it in black and i know that black can be a nightmare in cool weather never mind blistering heat. has anyone got any advice for me??

also i will need to store it but dont want to put it in the fridge as it will start sweating when it comes out. if i keep it out of direct heat indoors will it be ok?

thanx in advance
helen xx

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 4

You ask about keeping it at room temp......does the home have Air conditioning? (Probably not)........
It probably can be kept at room temp uo to 2 days as long as it is in a cool, dry place, out of direct sunlight.
Or if you need/want to refrigerate, put it in a cake box, then put that into a plastic bag. When you take it out of the frig, leave it covered until it has come to room tem - probably an hour or two - then you can remove the bag & box. There should be no problem w/sweating. If there is - *don't* touch it. The moisture will evaporate quickly once uncovered. Good luck - I'm sure it iwll be fine.

helen_freud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helen_freud Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 7:05am
post #3 of 4

thanx for ur advice x there is air con but only in the bedrooms i can have it on with the bedroom doors open to cool the place down alittle but my dad doesnt like to have it on (doesnt like spending money) my dad has built an underbuild in the house which is ALOT cooler so im told x im baking the cake the day before and decorating it on the day we want it then transfering it straight to our friends bar were we are going for tea it shud be cooler in the bar as they have their air con on low and i will keep it in the back in a dark room well away from any heat or light untill we turn up x

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 7:46am
post #4 of 4

Knead some cmc or gum tray into the paste to make it firmer .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%