Friday Night Cake Club 8/24/12

Decorating By catlharper Updated 26 Aug 2012 , 11:49am by Chellescakes

catlharper Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 2:48am
post #1 of 8

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Who's up? Whatcha' workin' on?

7 replies
catlharper Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 2:54am
post #2 of 8

Hi everyone!

This week has been busy with school stuff. My son just started 6th grade which is the top grade at Elementary here. Lots to get nailed down. Other than that I just had a baby shower cake this week. It was a lot of little details so it felt like it took forever but I think that had more to do with the mood I was in than the cake in reality. LOL!

The cake is for a high school friend of my younger daughter who had not seen my daughter in over a decade. She found me thru a friend on Facebook and the two girls reconnected when we went over for the client meeting. All of a sudden we are both invited to the shower as well.

Now here is the sort of odd thing. I let her know that we would show up a few moments early so we could set up the cake on the cake table and she said, no, they were "hiding" the cake away for a grand presentation after food was served. I've only been doing this professionally for 5 years but I've never had a client hide the cake away till almost cutting time. Usually it's set up front and center as a decorative centerpiece so everyone can admire it.

Now I don't think she thinks badly of my work. The reason I was hired is because she literally burst out in tears at her first baby shower because the cake was so awful...think Cake Wrecks awful and you will have a good idea. It's just an odd concept to me. Anyone have this happen before? Just curious. Always curious about new stuff! LOL!

Elcee Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 3:50am
post #3 of 8

Cat, they seem to do those grand presentations on some of the cake shows...think Cake Boss or Duff. I would rather have the cake on display myself icon_smile.gif. After all that work, people should see it for more than a few minutes!

I'm working on the bits and pieces for an Icing Smiles cake I'm delivering on Sunday. It's a Spiderman-themed cake for a little boy turning 5. A pink, glittery princess cake is more my style but if it's Spiderman he wants, it's Spiderman he'll get.

HalifaxMommy Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 4:03am
post #4 of 8

I am planning out a baby shower cake for a party I am hosting next month. Right now everything is on hold until Mom to be has the wee person as gender is not known. I just got a text from her a few hours ago and she is in the early stages of labour. Hopefully on Monday I start with gumpaste Converses in matching colours!

catlharper Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 4:03am
post #5 of 8

I got a call to do Icing Smiles this year but was already was a last minute thing for them. Speaking of cakes...Here is the TARDIS I did for last weekend...

The birthday girl was very happy with it and everyone thought it was wonderful so, even with it's imperfections, it was a hit<G>

btw...I'm dying to do a Spiderman cake but no one has commissioned me for one and he is not popular in our family with anyone but me! LOL!

catlharper Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 5:47am
post #6 of 8

Slow night tonight! Well, I hope more join in and share their cakes/projects. I'm off to bed. The baby shower is, of course, 150 miles away so we have a drive ahead of us. The upside is that this is also the area where our older kids/grandkids live so we get to see them this weekend too!

I'll check in while I'm there to see if anyone else checks in tonight!

SammieB Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 2:09pm
post #7 of 8

Cat, I love the Smiles cake you did! Sorry I missed you folks last night. I was working on my first ever PVC structured cake (a Tangled tower) with bronchitis. So it was a long night and the internet did not get my attention. But the cake turned out wonderfully I think! I can't wait to see my friend's expression.

Chellescakes Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 11:49am
post #8 of 8

Hi Cat and everyone,
No cakes for me to show you this week , I have three almost complete show entries I am working on so hopefully I can show them off next week hopefully with a blue ribbon or two.

I have just come back from out State Cake decorating conference, so as you can imaging my head is buzzing with all things sugar. We did take a little time out to kick up and heels and party a bit as well .

I was even lucky in the raffles coming home with a big 7kg bucket of icing and a really nice four tier cupcake stand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%