Feeling Self-Conscious

Lounge By traci_doodle Updated 25 Aug 2012 , 4:56am by traci_doodle

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone--

I just made my first cake for Icing Smiles, and so many things went wrong with the cake, it took me much longer than I expected, and I ran out of time. The customer came, and I wasn't finished! I was so embarrassed. Maybe this was dumb, but I sent them home with the cake. I guess I should have told them I wasn't done, but I just didn't know what to say. I think it looked okay, maybe, but there were a few things I wanted to make better. I'm feeling really stupid right now.

6 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 7

Hi Traci, I've seen your posts before. You worry too much. You gifted a cake with your heart and I'm sure that's what they saw - not the perceived flaw that only we can see in our own work.

[A few days go I signed on with Icing Smiles. I don't do specialty fondant cakes anymore, I have trouble with my hands. But I do beautiful trays, so I hope that there's a call for trays, too.]

3D-Sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3D-Sweets Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 7

Oh, Traci, I'm so sorry - wish I could give you a hug! Look, everyone has crisis moments, and sometimes they work out well and sometimes not. Be fair to yourself first, and know that next time will be different!

traci_doodle Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 12:00am
post #4 of 7

lol I know I worry too much. icon_smile.gif I think the cake actually looks okay, just not nearly as awesome as I was hoping. I feel like I keep trying to make cakes like the pros, then coming up short and feeling disappointed. It's just frustrating to me that I've been doing cakes much longer than many people who are much better than me. But I'll keep practicing, I guess, and try to stop being so hard on myself. Thanks for the encouragement!

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 1:56am
post #5 of 7

Hi, Traci. I'm kind of new here (been lurking for a little while) but I've been in business for quite some time. I've looked at your cakes and the improvement I see in just the cakes you've posted is quite impressive. You're definitely being too hard on yourself. You're very good and that means you are your own worst critic. You wouldn't have let a bad cake go out the door, so relax.

(And I'm jealous. I signed up with Icing Smiles, but I haven't got to do a cake for them yet.)

thumbs_up.gif

traci_doodle Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 4:34am
post #6 of 7

Thanks, cakefan92. I do think the cake looked okay, it's just that I had more plans for it. I guess it's just a good lesson in time management. I seriously needed several more hours with the cake to finish. But the family seemed happy with it, and I'm confident it tasted good, so that's all that really matters, right? I think I've just been extra tired and stressed lately, so I've let this get to me. I'm definitely my worst critic. Fortunately my husband is my biggest fan, and he's going to get home any minute and tell me that I did a great job, which will make me feel a whole lot better, lol. He always knows what to say. icon_smile.gif

traci_doodle Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 4:56am
post #7 of 7

So, my husband just got home. With reservation he said, 'well, it's not your best work, but it's still pretty good. " lol At least he's honest.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%