Checkerboard Cake

Decorating By KayMc Updated 26 Aug 2012 , 9:21pm by Pearl645

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 4

I haven't baked a cake in months. My life is wildly out of control, unfortunately, and decorating cakes just doesn't have a place in my world now. Today, however, I took off from work, in order to have one day to decompress before my husband has his 9th bone graft and fusion on Monday. I decided (in all my wisdom) to use the new Wilton checkerboard pans that have been sitting in my closet for many months.

WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUTT!!! I did finally get them baked, and have taken them out of the oven. I think they might actually work. Anyone else use these buggers? I thought getting the batter in the 3 pans was cumbersome....

3 replies
Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 5:03am
post #2 of 4

Wow it's been three years since I bought and used my Wilton checkerboard pan. I unfortunately had way too many issues with it. I used my own vanilla cake recipe and chocolate recipe and the chocolate baked into the vanilla. Was a big mess. The rings didn't hold my batter in place while baking. Had to scrap that set. I then used the recipe on the Wilton checkerboard box and it came out a lot better but not perfect in terms of lined up squares. I saw Buddy make this style cake on TV recently without the pans. He had some method to the madness it seemed to make it work.

In the end, the recipe on the box didn't meet my standards for taste and texture. Was a bad investment for me. I actually threw away the checkerboard set last month. Felt better about never seeing it again.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 4

I've wanted to make a checkerboard cake since I was around 10, and saw my neighbor's mother make one for my friend. I held down the plastic separator while pouring in in the batter, as I could see that the batter would ooze out the bottom. They all baked up fairly well, but won't know how it looks cut, until we cut into it later today. I'm very curious to see how the checkerboards do or do not line up.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 4

Did you use your own chocolate and vanilla recipe or the one on the Wilton checkerboard box? Even with the recipe on the box, it didn't line up squares properly when I cut into it. How did yours come out?

I saw the the chocolate was seeping into the vanilla with the rings in place with both recipes I tried. I remember the second time I tried it, I had to force down the rings to prevent seeping but when I released, it baked into the vanilla just a little. Still didn't get those perfect chocolate and vanilla squares. Hope you have better luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%