Mud Cake In A Pyrex Bowl? Help Needed!

Decorating By meganclarke Updated 27 Aug 2012 , 12:31pm by BakingIrene

meganclarke Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 10

I am in need of some advice here! To skip the background info, scroll down a little and you'll see my question.

The goal is to make a hill shaped cake, quite simple. Although, I'm a bit of a newbie to the baking world (I'm only 16). I have been researching for weeks on loads of stuff because I want this cake to be perfect, since it's for my mom.

First of all, I would like to point out that I am very limited on baking equipment. I only have the basics and essentials. That leaves me with my deepest pan being just shy of 2 inches deep (8 inches wide). I also have a pyrex bowl (2.5L/10 cups). If it is absolutely necessary, I can go buy a few things.

The plan is to make a caramel mud cake because they are supposedly best for carving and can carry the weight of butter cream and fondant. Originally, I planned to split the batter between two of the 2inch deep pans, bake it, layer them, freeze it over night, then carve it into a hill shape the next day. (Yes, I know it isn't very big. My family doesn't eat a whole lot of cake.)

Then, I read about using a pyrex bowl to get a round shape. Doing this would be a lot easier.

So my questions are:
(Keep in mind that this is a Caramel Mud Cake and the recipe is for a deep 8-inch round pan. Recipe says cook for 2 hours at 150°C )
Can I get away with using the Pyrex bowl, or will the mud cake not bake correctly.
If I can,
1. How should I prepare the bowl? ex. baking paper, grease, flour?
2. How can I ensure that the cake bakes evenly throughout? ex. flower nail, etc?
3. Should I adjust the baking temp/time or keep a close eye on it?

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I appreciate any help so much. icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
BakingIrene Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 10

The pyrex bowl is perfectly good to use to bake in.

After the first half hour, drop the oven temperature by 20C because glass bakes faster than metal. After 1.5 hours, keep a very close eye on it.

For a mud cake I would butter and flour the bowl.

Chill the cake overnight before carving it. ALL types of cake carve better after chilling.

If you are making a green hill with buttercream, the icing can be roughened with a fork to make "grass".

I started decorating when I was a few years younger than you, using a set of plastic tips that were for packaged icing. I collected good quality equipment when I worked in summers. I still have it 40 years later.

meganclarke Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 10

Yay, that's awesome news! Makes my life ten times easier. That's pretty clever with the grass idea, I hadn't thought about - I may do that.

Who knows, maybe I'll end up like you some day haha icon_smile.gif

BakingIrene Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 10

Hi Megan, I had two brothers who ate a LOT of cake while they were playing sports. It meant that I got plenty of all kinds of baking practise at home.

But baking as a teenager is the very best way to start. I learned to mix cake batter by hand, and I still prefer that to any other way.

And where did all that baking get me? I am now talking to a patent lawyer about a better way to cook up chemicals...

trebakes Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 10

How wide is the bowl? Can you bake half of batter in the bowl and half in cake pan and stack round bowl cake on the other layer? This will cut down on the baking time. If the bowl is a little smaller than the cake pan you could add "grass" around the outside. Just a thought, HTH

BakingIrene Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 10

The original recipe calls for a 3" deep pan. If your batter is not more than 4" deep in the pyrex bowl (I have this size so I know how big it is), then you should be OK. Pyrex bakes differently than a steel mixing bowl.

Maybe you could bake some of the batter in a pyrex custard cup if you have one there. That would be the top of your hill.

meganclarke Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 4:49pm
post #7 of 10

trebakes: The widest part of the bowl is around 8.5 inches. I have given thought to that, but I don't have much of a time constraint so, unless there is too much batter to fit in the bowl, it probably won't be necessary!

BakingIrene: Yes, my bowl is 4inches deep. On this note, should I fill the bowl to the top?
I don't have one of the custard cups.

BakingIrene Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 1:12am
post #8 of 10

Just fill the bowl with the full recipe of batter. Not more than 3" deep if it really looks like too much.

It will be so close to the right size that it will be OK.

Maybe you do want to buy the set of 4 custard cups. They are very useful for measuring out small amounts of ingredients so you can line them up on the counter and mix away.

meganclarke Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 4:47am
post #9 of 10

Turns out I do have custard cups, but they are ceramic. If I use them, will I need to line them with baking paper. Or can I get away with butter+flour?

BakingIrene Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 12:31pm
post #10 of 10

Butter+flour will be fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%