Funky Alphabet Cutters

Decorating By Alicia1991 Updated 29 Aug 2012 , 5:05am by sugarstorm

Alicia1991 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alicia1991 Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 8

Hi guys,

I am new to this website, so apologies if this question has been posted before. However, I brought the FMM Tappit- Funky Alphabet cutters, as I am new to cake decorating and not very good at free- hand writing. The issue is my fondant icing, keeps sticking to the cutters and not coming out. I have read the tips, roll thinly, use cornflour ect. I have seen some images of people using them and their letters look amazing. Is there are other magic secrets, which you good people would so kindly share?

Also I am using homemade marshmallow fondant, would this effect it?
icon_smile.gif

7 replies
gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 8

I use Satin Ice readymade fondant, roll it out not too thin, then let it sit for a few minutes so that the side that will go into the letter cutter is somewhat dried. If it the letter doesn't snap right out of the cutter, I gently/carefully use a toothpick or the pick from my fondant tools set and work it out. Sometimes you have to reshape it a little. Then I let all the letters harden before putting on the cake.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 8

Having been in your shoes many times, I can honestly say the best way I've found to use these cutters is to make sure your fondant or gum paste is almost dry before using them. Press your cutter into the fondant and wiggle it around a bit to get the excess out and then I push it through with either a toothpick or the tip of an exacto knife. I've tried the tapping method but it just does not work for me.

One way I've worked it before too was to get some cling wrap and put that over your fondant and then press with the cutter. Hope one of these methods works for you!

Alicia1991 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alicia1991 Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 8

Hi Carmijok and Gramof5,

Just to say thanks for replying to my post and for sharing your tips, which I willl be trying,

So once again thankyou.

Alicia thumbs_up.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 2:11am
post #5 of 8

Do all pf the above and then I lay a piece of plastic wrap ( food wrap) over the fondant and press the tappits through the plastic and it works great. I don't get the letters stuck in the tappits. Your fondant needs to be thinner than you think.

mskerrih Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mskerrih Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 2:50am
post #6 of 8

I roll my fondant kinda thin and rub it with a small amount of crisco... Doesn't stick at all!!!

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 4:28am
post #7 of 8

i brush the fondant with corn starch, and also the inside of the cutter. Then I have to really get rough sometimes--i call them Whack-its not tapp-its icon_rolleyes.gif i should try the tips here. I'm afraid of breaking the cutters!

sugarstorm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarstorm Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 5:05am
post #8 of 8

I hear ya! The only luck I have with those cutters is to use Satin Ice gumpaste. Fondant rarely works for me as I find it way too soft. They either stick or stretch beyond belief. The gumpaste and a little cornstarch works wonders!
Best of luck to you! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%