Marshmallow Fondant - Inconsistent Results

Decorating By beebeegee Updated 24 Aug 2012 , 4:17pm by cakeyouverymuch

beebeegee Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 7:36am
post #1 of 2

Seeking advise from those of you out there who use MMF to cover your cakes: do you find it to be a reliable and consistent fondant? I have used it about four times now and this last time was a complete disaster. It was tearing and falling apart on me no matter how I tried to fix it (water, sugar, crisco, etc).

I was making two cakes. Was able to get one covered (with DH help!) and had to resort to Satin Ice for the second.

The Satin Ice was a dream to work with and looked so much better/professional. But, it gave me the opportunity to taste the two styles of fondant side by side and while there is nothing wrong with Satin Ice, I really prefer the MMF taste and texture.

I have used the basic MMF recipe and "Rhonda's" both with mixed results. The major thing I did differently this time was use a stand mixer.

My other gripe is that my MMF always has a sheen to it. Is there anything I can do about that? I really preferred the matte finish I got with the Satin Ice.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions you can offer!

1 reply
cakeyouverymuch Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 2

MMF rules:

Rule # 1: Not all marshmallows are created equal. When you find a brand that gives you good results use that brand consistently to get consistent results.

Rule # 2: Not all marshmallows are created equal. Always use fresh marshmallows. As marshmallows sit in the package. . . and especially if that package has a small hole in it. . . the moisture content changes. When you have to start guessing how much extra water to add because your marshmallows are a bit shrunken and dry you are not going to get a consistent result.

Rule # 3: Not all powdered sugar is created equal. When you find a certain brand gives you a good result, use that brand consistently to get consistent results.

Rule # 4: Measure your ingredients by weight. You can't get consistent results if you are not using exactly the same amount of ingredients every time.

Rule # 5: If you are using a fresh bag of marshmallows that have given you consistent results in the past, and if you are using powdered sugar that has given you consistent results in the past, and if you have measured your ingredients by weight, and you find that you've arrived at a good texture and elasticity but haven't used up all the sugar for your recipe, STOP. If your kitchen is more/less humid than normal your recipe might take a little more or less sugar. Generally, if I find that I've used up all the sugar and the fondant is still a bit sticky I just use a little crisco as I knead it, then wrap it as normal and let it sit overnight. By the next day its usually fixed itself as the sugar absorbs the liquids as it sits.

Rule # 6: Always let your fondant rest at least 8 hours at room temperature before you use it. I generally make my MMF in the evening and use it mid morning of the next day.

Does your recipe call for shortening? Mine calls for a 1/2 cup. I generally use about a 1/4 cup to grease up all of the bowls and utensils I use in the process and to add to the ps in the stand mixer, and use about 1/8 cup or less during the hand kneading process to keep the fondant from sticking to the counter and my hands. The sheen may be a result of adding too much shortening to the mix.

I always use my stand mixer to start the process while the mms are still hot. By the time the mass in the mixer is cool enough to handle its taken on about half of the ps.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%