Please Please Help...advice Needed!!!

Decorating By 1Stacey1 Updated 11 Sep 2012 , 10:27pm by kakeladi

1Stacey1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1Stacey1 Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 7:31am
post #1 of 5

I am fairly new to cake making and I am doing my first wedding cake. It is a vanilla sponge, buttercream and jam filling. I have coated each layer in Gnash and Icing and it looked lovely.

Over night the bottom layer had slid forward, middle to the side and all layers have bulged, it is now a very wonky cake and looks terrible! I don't have time to re-do the icing because the wedding it TOMORROW!

Is there anything I can to do without having to re-ice the whole thing?

Thank you in advance!

icon_cry.gif

4 replies
Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 7:59am
post #2 of 5

Probably not.

Did you dowel it? I'm wondering why it would have moved so much.

Can you post a picture?

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 8:12am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Stacey1

I am fairly new to cake making and I am doing my first wedding cake. It is a vanilla sponge, buttercream and jam filling. I have coated each layer in Gnash and Icing and it looked lovely.
Hmmmm, i am thinking that there is too much filling - and that the Ganache coating is too heavy for that type of cake.
For me - i would never cover a Sponge Cake in Ganache... as it can weigh the cake down.

After filling the cake - did you let it settle...Before the coating of Ganache went over the top?[

How many layers were there to the cake?
Did it need dowelling

/b]

Over night the bottom layer had slid forward, middle to the side and all layers have bulged, it is now a very wonky cake and looks terrible! I don't have time to re-do the icing because the wedding it TOMORROW!

Is there anything I can to do without having to re-ice the whole thing?
You could dimantle the cake - re stack - let it settle - then if need be cover in ganache again....However i would only put a light layer of Ganache over the cake.

Thank you in advance!

Best of luck.
Bluehue
icon_cry.gif

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 10:41am
post #4 of 5

You absolutely can put ganache on a sponge cake - all my cakes are sponge cakes and every single one of them has a decent layer of ganache - I have ganached 6" tall sponge cakes with no support inside and they have been totally fine. The issue sounds like either your ganache was not made using the correct ratios and was therefore too soft, that and perhaps your room was too hot and the ganache melted.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 5

No one has brought up the possibility that the layers were not level when this cake was put together. Were they totally/completely level?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%