Fondant Emergency. Need Help Immediately Please!

Decorating By BethV Updated 24 Aug 2012 , 7:58pm by DeniseNH

BethV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethV Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 15

I have a cake due tomorrow. I rolled out my fondant to put on the cake and it is dry and cracking. So I kneaded a lot of crisco into it and tried rolling again and it is still cracking!

What should I do? Should I knead crisco in AGAIN and wrap and let the fondant rest? If so, for how long?

Or do I need to start over again? I'm using marshmallow fondant.

Thanks so much!!!

14 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 15

It sounds like it is (obviously) very dried out. If shortening doesn't do the trick, you might want to try a few drops of water. Is this a new batch, or an old batch? If water and shortening and a little reheating in the microwave don't do it, you may be better off making a fresh batch.

BethV Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 15

It's a new batch. I made it on Tuesday. I made some blue fondant (different batch) also on Tuesday and it was fine. I have no idea what is wrong. I've never had it dry like this before. The marshmallows were brand new and everything was as I normally do it.

I tried microwaving and no luck. If I make the fondant now, should it be okay to roll out in the morning?

Is there something I should do to make sure it doesn't dry out? I triple wrapped it in plastic wrap and that obviously didn't help.

BabyGerald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyGerald Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 15

Try kneading in some glucose, approx. 1/8 tsp at a time, until it is the desired consistency.

Full disclosure: I've done this many times with commercial fondant with great success, never tried with homemade fondant.

carebear15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carebear15 Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 15

Did you try glycerin? If it did dry out you can use glycerin to restore moist.

BethV Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 15

I think I'm just going to make another batch. I've never had fondant do this before.

So now I'm trying to figure out how this happened. I guess it was too much sugar.

Or could it be that I added to much vanilla extract? Could the alcohol actually dry it out ? I used 1 TBSP for a 1.5 lb batch.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 12:29am
post #7 of 15

Too much sugar is the most obvious culprit. But the vanilla could be also. I usually make 3 lb batches and only add around a tsp of flavoring.

BabyGerald Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 1:05am
post #8 of 15

FWIW, I misspoke and meant glycerine. Woops.

m_mckinney1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_mckinney1 Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 1:14am
post #9 of 15

I have had this problem with darker colored (mmf) fondant before. I'm not sure why being dark colors changes it (unless it's because you have to add so much...) I discovered that by heating the fondant in a microwave slightly, then pushing mini marshmallows in (about 1 per square inch or so), then heating slightly again and kneading until it's all incorporated it will fix the texture. I did this with some black & it helped tremendously!

BethV Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 1:15am
post #10 of 15

Thanks, everyone! I ran out to get more supplies and I'm going to try again with less sugar and less vanilla.

BethV Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 2:36pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks for all the help, everyone! The fondant I made last night was perfect, and now I'm just putting the finishing touches on my cake. In the future I'm going to add the powdered sugar very slowly and in small amounts to my fondant batch! I've learned my lesson!

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 2:50pm
post #12 of 15

I've never made fondant from scratch yet and with every cake i make i say i am going to make my fondant next time.. does it take a long time to make? I feel like with all the steps in making very different part of the cake (baking the cakes, making the filling, making the icing for the wall - can't think of what it's called - making the ganach.. ) is it worth the time to make the fondant as well. i will have to try it...

BethV Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 3:15pm
post #13 of 15

I make marshmallow fondant for 2 reasons: it tastes the best (in my opinion) and it is way cheaper than Satin Ice. Satin Ice costs about $9 for 2 lbs (I see from looking online), but I can make 3 lbs for a little over $5. But the downside is that if you do not make it perfectly, you can have problems.

BabyGerald Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 5:07pm
post #14 of 15

I have always wondered... if you factor in your time/labor cost (esp with dark colors) are you really saving that much?
I wonder this for GP too...
Maybe this is off-topic, though.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 7:58pm
post #15 of 15

The only time I've had trouble with homemade MMF is if I purchased an "off" brand of powdered sugar that contained too much corn starch in it as a filler. Get Domino's.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%