polliwawg Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 1:40am
post #1 of

I would like to try pound cake for my cakes, I usually use WASC or a few scratch recipes, but have not tried pound cake....Has anyone had great success with using pound cake? Any suggestions on recipes that you have had success (or not) with?
TIA

6 replies
grandmomof1 Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 2:17am
post #2 of

I do pound cakes more than any other. That is what my people want. I use a family recipe that I have tweaked to my liking. My chocolate pound cake I use buttermilk and instant coffee. Paula Deen and Martha Stewart both have recipes on their sites that are similar to how I make mine. I have tried "doctored" recipes before and I don't care how many I try they all still taste like "doctored" cake box mix to me. Good luck.

MimiFix Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 11:41am
post #3 of

Pound cakes work equally well in tube pans and sheet pans. Allrecipes.com has recipes with reviews, so you can see which ones are successful.

polliwawg Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 6:08pm
post #4 of

Thanks, Grandmom, I will start with those sites.

Mimi, I think that has been my biggest hesitation, the way they will bake in a regular pan, do you usually have to trim the outside all of the way off? I imagine using parchment will help the outside from getting too "crusty"...

polliwawg Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 6:23pm
post #5 of

When you make a cake using pound cake, do you use simple syrup at all?

grandmomof1 Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 8:57pm
post #6 of

I do not use simple syrup. I just put a piece of wax paper over the cake and leave it while it is still warm. If I used a simple syrup my cakes would be soggy. One of the comments I receive most often is, "I can't believe how moist your cakes are." I bake mine in any of my cake pans. I do use baking strips and there is very little trimming done. They usually bake level. The only place that usually needs a little trimming is around the very top edge and I wait to do that until the cake is completely cooled and I am ready to start icing it. By that time the crusty part has moistened and trims with no problem.

kakeladi Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 12:53am
post #7 of

The *original* WASC recipe was designed to mimic a pound cake with less work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%