Question About Edible Ink Printers?

Decorating By NLGinny Updated 6 May 2017 , 10:11am by cazza1

NLGinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NLGinny Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 1:31am
post #1 of 88

Hi. I am wanting to get an edible ink printer for cake decorating. Can I buy a brand new regular everyday printer and put edible ink into it. Or does it have to be a certain printer?

87 replies
HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 3:51am
post #2 of 88

Check Icing Images website for the type of canon printers that have edible ink cartridges made for them. I just bought another iP3600 canon printer from Staples last month. I had an iP3500 that I blew the print head out. So the answer is yes you can buy a new printer, but not just any printer and it should be dedicated only to printing edible images with edible ink. Check the web for other sources of edible ink as well. I hope this helps.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 12:53pm
post #3 of 88

I too just bought a Canon IP3600 to dedicate for edible ink but I haven't decided whether I should buy the more expensive spongeless cartridge or the regular edible inkcartrige. Each website claims that either the spongless is better or that the claims are bunk. Can anyone (other than those who are selling them) share their real life experience with either one?

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

I too just bought a Canon IP3600 to dedicate for edible ink but I haven't decided whether I should buy the more expensive spongeless cartridge or the regular edible inkcartrige. Each website claims that either the spongless is better or that the claims are bunk. Can anyone (other than those who are selling them) share their real life experience with either one?

I would like to know too, I'm saving up to buy edible ink cartridges. I've used two different brands of regular edible ink cartridges with sponges that really clogged up my print head on my iP3500. I thought it was from not being used weekly. Do the spongeless really work?

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 88

I know I am biased since I own Icing Images, but let me tell you why we converted to them. My job is to test things, make them brake, find out why they brake, try to fix them and find out why ! I am constantly testing inks, ink cartridges, every time someone new comes on the market with a new ink and a new cartridge, I test it. When the sponge free cartridges came on the market, I totally ignored them. Did want to test them, but eventually I did. I was very impressed. Remember an edible ink cartridge are the same parts that are used in "regular" ink. But the edible ink is a thicker ink and just doesn't work as well with a sponged cartridge. What I found was two fold. First, I found better color and then I found that we have fewer problems with printhead problems. Now the ink is different because there is no sponge and obviously the style of cartridge is different. Having no sponge I found was helpful for a few reasons. First, no sponge takes up less space, giving you more ink and second, we found that we had fewer printhead problems. The sponge regulates the ink and because the sponge holds ink back, with edible ink being thicker, sometimes what we found was that the printhead was fine, but the cartridges were regulating the flow too much causing what we thought was a printhead problem. Because the ink is thicker and harder to pull through the sponge, this emulated a printhead problem. We use to have to stock printheads at our office because customers had so many problems with sponged cartridge, We dont have to any more. Our sales our up but our service calls are way down...way down...way down. Nothing is perfect, but compared to the sponge cartridge days there is a huge difference, What I also know, is all my other "buddies" from other companies in the edible ink world are now experimenting with the sponge free cartridge. Just yesterday, one of the other major edible ink companies emailed me to show me what they are doing...they are going sponge free. Why, the results are better. He sent me pictures of prints and was amazed at the coloring difference. Another one of the major edible ink cartridge companies is still trying to get his ink to work with a sponge free cartridge. My feeling is that soon everyone will switch. That brings me to another point. Edible inks are different and you do get what you pay for. There are a lot of companies popping up offering cheaper inks. We have tested just about everyone of them. I am not going to sit here and tell you which ones are doing what. But I can tell you, you get what you pay for. Edible printing overall ads about $2.00 worth of product to your cake. If you are concerned about price, up the price of your cake. If you want to save money, refill.No matter whose ink you are using, you are still adding product to your cake and need to recoup your costs. Remember edible printing saves you time. But when you create an edible print, you are adding value to your cake. You need to charge for it. Edible printing is more than just putting a picture on a cake. iiDesigns is taking edible printing from the picture on a cake, into a whole new realm of cake decorating and accenting your cakes. If you are concerned about price, again, charge your customer for the added feature. Remember, though edible printing is just like anything else that you buy...you do get what you pay for.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 1:57am
post #6 of 88

I use spongeless cartridges for printing photos on regular paper.

Before you buy the printer, look on ebay for the refillable cartridges. It never hurts to have a set or two on hand. You can then buy the food ink in larger bottles for economical use.

icingimages Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 2:03am
post #7 of 88

Be very leery of the ink you buy on ebay. Some is good...some not so good. You do get what you pay for!

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 26 Aug 2012 , 2:23am
post #8 of 88

I have had an ip3600 printer for 4 yrs. I have had to replace print head numerous times and actually had to buy a new ip3600 at one point. Had major clog problems with sponge cartridge. Once I switched to Icing Images newer cartridges my world changed. Sometimes I go a couple months without printing and everything works fine.

Jetwork Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jetwork Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 2:37am
post #9 of 88

As a supplier of edible ink cartridges, we have had a different experience with the spongeless cartridges. Although I can't speak to the experiences of others, we tested them and found them to be erratic in performance.

It is helpful to understand that the basic design of all inkjet cartridges requires a sponge-like material to create "back pressure" which prevents the ink from just running out unregulated. If a spongeless design was beneficial, I can assure you that Canon, Epson and HP would utilize it, but they do not. Billions of dollars of R&D by these companies has resulted in cartridges that use sponges to provide a balance of back pressure to allow the printer to in effect "sip" the ink as needed. Being able to eliminate sponges would save them billions of dollars annually, but they have still not gone that route.

Printhead problems are predominately the result of clogging from the drying of food coloring within the tiny nozzles of the printheads. The resolution of the printers has increased dramatically in the last few years, which means the size of these printhead nozzles has shrunk, causing the clogging problem to be more of an issue. There is really no magic fix other than to run a daily test print to lessen the chance of the edible ink drying within the printhead, and to thoroughly flush the printhead if clogging starts to become a problem. As unappealing as it is, all printheads need to be replaced at some point.

Hope this helps,

Sweet Art Company
www.sweetart.com

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 12:58pm
post #10 of 88

I've used several brands of ink and both types of cartridges. Nothing compares with the gold label inks from icingimages and the spngless cartridges. I'm a firm believer in "You get what you pay for".

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 1:35pm
post #11 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

Be very leery of the ink you buy on ebay. Some is good...some not so good. You do get what you pay for!

YES for sure.

I buy EMPTY refillable cartridges on ebay, and the food grade ink from a food supply because it comes in larger bottles that are very economical.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 2:26pm
post #12 of 88

There is also a BIG difference in frosting sheets. I've tried them all an IMO the premium sheets from icingimages are the best.

icingimages Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 2:19am
post #13 of 88

In discussing printhead problems, I will tell you that when we began selling the sponge free cartridges, we no longer had to carry printheads for our customers. While printheads can wear out, generally our customers are no longer wearing through them in the normal lifetime of the printer since we switched. I will tell you that nonedible companies make their money on the consumables, not the printers. Therefore they are less likely to use a spongefree cartridge. More ink per cartridge means less profit for nonedible ink companies. In addition, the sponges in the cartridges were originally designed for non food product. Unless a sponged cartridges is designed for edible use, the sponge inside is not created for edibles. This is why sponge cartridges have to have alcohol in their inks. It helps to sanitize the sponge. However, alcohol increases the chances your printhead will be burned out prematurely. We have been selling the sponged cartridges for years now and we are so ecstatic with the level of satisfaction our customers have. When our customers are happy, we are happy!

Maria42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria42 Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 2:58pm
post #14 of 88

I am so confused, I just spoke to Canon over the phone and they said they do not make edible ink printers. I have read people buying Canon IP3600 and others for printing edible ink and paper, can anyone give me any information? would be appreciated. Thank you

vicki0052 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki0052 Posted 24 Oct 2012 , 12:45am
post #15 of 88

Maria 42: You buy the printer and the ink cartridges separately. There is no edible printer. You can not use the regular ink and the edible ink in the same machine. Use one machhine for the edible ink and get another machine for the regular ink. Understand? Denise

michellew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellew Posted 24 Oct 2012 , 1:41am
post #16 of 88
crystal18_corpus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystal18_corpus Posted 24 Oct 2012 , 1:51am
post #17 of 88

I have the Cannon and purchsed my ink and paper from Icing Images my prints are so vibrant and you just want to eat the whole sheet of paper because it smells so good...I am very happy with the products this was my first time using an edible image printer and the info you get with your order makes it so easy to set up the printer.... Thank you IcingImages.... I am getting ready to order more paper and ink..... I have never had a problem with clogs I just turn my printer on and off every day and print one nozzle check every week if I dont have an image to pring

prntzone2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prntzone2012 Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 1:45pm
post #18 of 88

Samsung company makes it a point that there is a particular product for everyones need or requirement. Some are even portable so it can easily be carried anywhere. Also, both of its products and services are widely available. So many valid reasons why the brand stays on top of Printzone.com.au's preferred product. Samsung printer cartridges at discount prices delivered fast New Zealand wide from Printzone!

printzone.net.nz/samsung-printer-cartridges-b-8.html

prntzone2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prntzone2012 Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 1:46pm
post #19 of 88

Samsung company makes it a point that there is a particular product for everyones need or requirement. Some are even portable so it can easily be carried anywhere. Also, both of its products and services are widely available. So many valid reasons why the brand stays on top of Printzone.com.au's preferred product. Samsung printer cartridges at discount prices delivered fast New Zealand wide from Printzone!

printzone.net.nz/samsung-printer-cartridges-b-8.html

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 2:12pm
post #20 of 88

Thanks for all the information on spongeless cartridges.  I had never hear of them.  I think I will try them next time around.

pookysgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookysgirl Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 4:59am
post #21 of 88

Can edible ink be used on regular paper... and how does it hold up?  I'm interested in trying it on my packaging labels, but wanted to ask someone who is familiar with edible inks before I purchase a printer to try this.

icingimages Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 8:24pm
post #22 of 88

Hi!

You can print on regular paper, however, it will not hold up if water gets dripped on it and over time it will fade. But we actually recommend that when customers do not have an image to print, they can print something on regular paper to keep their printer happy!

Shona-Kay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shona-Kay Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 4:29am
post #23 of 88

just like to say my epson xp400 was a waste of $ it clogged on the first day. should have bought a canon

icingimages Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 10:30am
post #24 of 88

I am sorry to hear about your Epson. I hope you find success when you are able to switch to  a Canon.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 10:40am
post #25 of 88

Icicng Images, you have 2 printers on your site for sale. What is the model # of the second one? I didn't see it listed. Also what software comes with them?

Shona-Kay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shona-Kay Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 10:49am
post #26 of 88

ANo I have not been able to. I live in another country. I literally went broke buying the xp-400 in the us and having it shipped internationally as well as clearing it at customs. Costed me a fortune. I am not in a position to buy a more costly printer at this time as it will cost more in all respects

icingimages Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 8:06pm
post #27 of 88

We have our Elite Standalone system which is the MG5320 by Canon and we also have the wide format which is also a Canon the ix6520. Both come with the standard Canon software but you also have access to iPrint which is the printing program used with the sheets.  You can use any graphics programs to create pictures and print them, but if you are printing on the multiple up sheets such as the 2.5" circles then you need iPrint.  You also get 30 days free towards iDesigns which is an online printing pattern printing program that has over 1600 different images that are licensed for edible use.  The program allows you to print seamless patterns for creating bows, ribbons and boarders, but it also allows you to print full designer sheets to be used as is or with electronic cutters as well as the Sweet Accents die cutting and embossing system.  I hoe this helps.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 8:10pm
post #28 of 88

If I already had a compatible printer could I get the required software through you?

icingimages Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 9:32pm
post #29 of 88

The software is designed around our icing sheets.  In addition, it was designed for use with a Canon printer, not an Epson. Is your compatible printer already being used with edibles?

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 11:52pm
post #30 of 88

The first rule of edible printing is that you do not run non-edible ink in the printer you use for edible printing.

The second rule of edible printing is that you do not run non-edible ink in the printer you use for edible printing.

(And you still don't talk about Fight Club -- one of these days, I need to actually see that movie, given that I keep alluding to it.)

The manufacturer, or a fully equipped rebuilding shop (assuming anybody actually bothers to field-strip and rebuild inkjet printers), might have the parts and tooling to render a printer food-safe after it's been contaminated with non-edible ink, without rendering it permanently afunctional in the process. You do not.

Personally, I outsource my edible printing. Mainly because I don't allow inkjet printers in my home, any more than I allow WinDoze in my home.

As to software, unless you're getting a turnkey system (like DecoPac's), there shouldn't be anything locking you into using your edible-ink-and-media supplier's software, but if you use, say, Mac Preview, or WinDoze Picture and Fax Viewer (or the equivalent utility supplied with the Linux distro of your choice), you're on your own as far as registering the image on the media, and on any color adjustments that might be necessary.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%