How Do I Get Started!??!?

Decorating By boke0402 Updated 24 Aug 2012 , 3:06am by msthang1224

boke0402 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boke0402 Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 6

Hi cake-bakers!
I have been researching sooo much about baking fondant cakes! I want to make a special cake for my daughter's 3rd Birthday. It will be like Minnie mouse! I have a large Minnie mouse topper made of styrofoam that I ordered online at Etsy.com. It has my daughters name and age, along with Minnie. It's my first time. I feel confident in baking, but I just need a few things clarified!

My idea for her cake is to use a rectangular 11x15 inch baking pan. I was thinking of a strawberry cake. For the frosting, I'd like to use a rich chocolate butter cream. Then for the top, I would use a MMF and it would be pink. I want to cut out white circles and paste them onto the cake. I want to flavor the MMF with strawberry as well(since I am coloring it pink anyways.)

But I do not want to have to refrigerate the cake, so I am wondering what kind of butter cream recipe to use? I have read that using butter works best because it hardens better and leaves a smooth finish. But I also read that ganache is good for a filling too. I have nooooooooo idea!!

Also wondering how soon to start baking the cake, and steps to take. Birthday is on Saturday. So should I begin making the fondant Tuesday night and seal it and put it in the fridge? Should I put the pink dye in it before it is refrigerated or wait until I am ready to apply it to the cake? I would them bake the cake Wednesday night? Thursday make filling and put fondant on? Then Friday apply the circles on? How do I apply the circles!? Should I use a egg white or put some water onto the fondant? If I cut the circles out after I make the fondant on Tuesday night, how should I store the circles??

I know I have a lot of mixed in questions...but if anyone is willing to answer just one question or offer a recipe I'd be very happy!

Thanks for any advice or clarification. It would be GREATLY appreciated.

boke0402
LL

5 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 12:19am
post #2 of 6

Hi,

I don't use MMF so /I wouldn't be able to answer your questions about that but, I don't know how yr schedule goes. I would bake on Thursday and make the filling. Friday, fill, ice and apply fondant, as well as circles. You can apply circles using different mediums (a lil shortening: circles will stick but if you need to move them, it moves with ease as well as leaves no marks), water: a dab will do you, piping gel: sticky and leaves a shine whereever you put it but, it works icon_smile.gif

If you make the circles way ahead of time, Cover them with saran wrap or place them in a baggie OR do both to keep them from hardening.

Hopefully, some of our fellow bakers will answer yr MMF Q's soon.

Good Luck

boke0402 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boke0402 Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 2:55am
post #3 of 6

@msthang1224, Thank you for your input. It was well taken and I will consider every piece of it! I may consider making the circles! icon_wink.gif

cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 3:19am
post #4 of 6

Are you using gel colors or food coloring. I use gel colors you can add them before. Fridge is fine but you will really have to knead it. Siran wrap and counter top is also fine. Circles ahead of time wrapped and also on counter ahead of time is fine. Water on the back of circles to apply to a fondant covered cake works. Make sure when you cover your cake in fondant that the fondant is a lot bigger than the cake. Measure each side, across and down the cake to know how big your fondant should be.

yehhuii1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yehhuii1956 Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 3:42am
post #5 of 6

Cover them with saran wrap or place them in a baggie OR do both to keep them from hardening.

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 3:06am
post #6 of 6

@ boke0402: Yr very welcome

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%