Sanitization

Lounge By momma2g2b Updated 23 Aug 2012 , 7:07pm by jason_kraft

momma2g2b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma2g2b Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone!

I'm new to Cake Central and having a blast looking through ALL the information/posts! I DO have a question for you all....

A friend of mine asked me to make gluten free cupcakes for his wife. I told him that my kitchen is not a gluten free environment but that I would do my best to make it so. I understand that I need to sanitize EVERYTHING from measuring spoons/cups to spatulas and everything else in between. My question is this: WHAT should I use to sanitize/decontaminate my tools and work area??

Any thoughts and suggestions are MUCH appreciated!

TIA,
Caroline icon_smile.gif)

1 reply
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 2

You can use chlorine bleach to sanitize equipment, for spray sanitizer (e.g. for cutting boards) mix 1 tsp of bleach with 1 qt of water. Wash the item as you usually would, spray the sanitizer on and let it sit for 2 minutes, then rinse and air dry.

To sanitize dishes and utensils, wash them first, then soak for 5-10 minutes in a solution of 1 tbsp bleach per gallon of water, then drain the sink and air dry. A dishwasher would also work.

Note that only non-porous surfaces can be sanitized, any porous surfaces should be considered permanently contaminated. You also need to watch out for airborne contamination (if flour has been used in the kitchen wait at least 24 hours before uncovering or working with GF ingredients), and contact the manufacturers of the GF ingredients you are using to make sure they protect against cross-contamination.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%