Using Craft Moulds - Food Safe?

Decorating By AlanaCullen Updated 24 Aug 2012 , 9:40pm by hbquikcomjamesl

AlanaCullen Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 9:26am
post #1 of 12

Hi, I was in the craft shop the other day and noticed a girl mould that I'd really like to use, but then I was wondering if its ok to use one thats not specifically for food?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
Bluehue Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 12

Altho some moulds are suitable for craft/soap and fondant...your best bet would be to ask the people selling it.
If there is a brand/company name on the mould/packaging then you could do a google search as to what the moulds are made from - or contact the company direct.
As some moulds are made from plastic/silicon that isn't food safe.

If you did use it, you would have to advise any customer that the *girl* is unedible....and for decoration only...........but sometimes customers don't always listen to what they are instructed to do......as with many thing in life, - it would be best to errrr on the side of caution

Bluehue

AlanaCullen Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 12

Thank you so much for your reply! That was what I was thinking, you confirmed my suspicions lol!
Thanks again!

AlanaCullen Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 12

Thank you so much for your reply! That was what I was thinking, you confirmed my suspicions lol!
Thanks again!

DeniseNH Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 12:19am
post #5 of 12

Ok, here's my take on it. If you're using the mold for fondant or gumpaste you usually lube the mold with Crisco for the fondant or gumpaste will be in the mold for under 30 seconds and with the Crisco barrier (which is food safe), the fondant won't be touching the actual mold, just the Crisco. If you don't use Crisco then that's another subject and if you're pouring warm chocolate into the mold - you really do need to use a food safe mold.

Bluehue Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 1:25am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNH

Ok, here's my take on it. If you're using the mold for fondant or gumpaste you usually lube the mold with Crisco for the fondant or gumpaste will be in the mold for under 30 seconds and with the Crisco barrier (which is food safe), the fondant won't be touching the actual mold, just the Crisco.
icon_eek.gif ....Hmmmmm - thats not a good food safe practise..
Bluehue
If you don't use Crisco then that's another subject and if you're pouring warm chocolate into the mold - you really do need to use a food safe mold.


icon_eek.gif

costumeczar Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 12:03am
post #7 of 12

Just tell them that they shouldn't go zombie and eat her face.

kakeladi Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 12:12am
post #8 of 12

there are so may of us who have used them from time to time. I cannot really see why not. Yes, I know it's still not food safe (maybe) but from what I learned about ink for printers the ONLY difference was that there were no food industry inpsectors present so they could not call it food safe.

Bluehue Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 1:11am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Just tell them that they shouldn't go zombie and eat her face.




LOLLLLL - love your termanology

Bluehue

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 5:42pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

. . .but from what I learned about ink for printers the ONLY difference was that there were no food industry inpsectors present so they could not call it food safe.


I seem to recall seeing toxicity warnings on boxed inkjet cartridges.

On the other hand, I refuse to own an inkjet of any kind myself (they're the worst "razor-and-blades business model" product ever devised: you use them like crazy, you go through cartridges like crazy; you don't use them, and the cartridges dry out and clog, and you end up throwing out ink like crazy), and so I haven't looked at inkjet ink in over a decade.

kakeladi Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 8:28pm
post #11 of 12

.......seem to recall seeing toxicity warnings on boxed inkjet cartridges......

This may be now......my research was done some 10-15 yrs ago.

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 9:40pm
post #12 of 12

The last time I got a good look at a boxed inkjet cartridge was probably closer to 20 years ago. But more to the point, everything I've read on the subject, both here and elsewhere, states that if an inkjet printer has been used with conventional inks without the equivalent of cleaning it out with a steam hose, it's not fit for use with edible inks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%