Fondant On Cream Cheese Frosted Cake - Refrigerate??

Decorating By AlanaCullen Updated 23 Aug 2012 , 1:54pm by diaocuijin0706

AlanaCullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlanaCullen Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 9:23am
post #1 of 7

Hi, I am attempting to make 3 cakes next weekend for my nephews and one of them has requested a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting. I know you are not supposed to put cakes covered in fondant in the fridge, but then how do I keep it without the frosting going bad?
I am thinking that maybe I leave his till last to decorate on the day, and then take it straight over, but then how do they keep the cake? Sorry if this sounds silly, I'm very new to cake making and feeling a little overwhelmed...
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks icon_smile.gif

6 replies
vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 10:08am
post #2 of 7

cream cheese typically = refrigeration.

Of course you could have a pretty cake sitting out that would send everybody to the hospital...#just saying.

Fondant cakes can be refrigerated. There are many threads on the topic. Do a search.

vgcea Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 10:23am
post #3 of 7

OP here's a link to a cream cheese BC that is shelf stable:
http://www.texascottagefoodlaw.com/Resources/Recipes/TraditionalCreamCheeseFrosting.aspx

AlanaCullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlanaCullen Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you so much for your reply!
I just want to clarify by 'shelf stable' you mean it can be left out on the bench? The recipe I have for cream cheese frosting is pretty much the same as the one from your link.
Thanks again!

vgcea Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 6:16am
post #5 of 7

It means based on the information provided (pH and aW) it does not require refrigeration. Just as the original site says, you are fully liable for however it turns out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelf_stable_food

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 7:33am
post #6 of 7

I would do a test run on this. I have read here on CC in the Cake disaster forum, that cream cheese under fondant will cause the fondant to melt. I read that the cream cheese must be a crusting cream cheese or it will not work. Personally, I have never done this but if I had a customer who wanted this, I would try it before commiting. I hope this helps!

diaocuijin0706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diaocuijin0706 Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 7

The recipe I have for cream cheese frosting is pretty much the same as the one from your link. Image

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%