What Size Cake Drum Would You Use?

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 22 Aug 2012 , 10:09pm by sweettreat101

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 7:59am
post #1 of 8

I will be making a large cake for a friend next week and I can't decide what size cake drums to use for the tiered cake. The six 10" side cakes will be displayed on 12" boards sitting atop glass cylinder vases filled with led lights and pink water beads. The main cake will be displayed on a fountain stand. The 9 and 7" cakes will be displayed in the same fashion using the cylinder vases. My concern is the larger the cake drum the more it will cover or shadow the vases and flowers between the cakes. I was thinking about using 10 and 8 inch drums. The cakes will have ribbon around the bottom so I don't think she will want a butter cream border. What would all you wonderful bakers do? One inch difference in the board to see more of the decorations or a two inch larger board? Any help greatly appreciated.

7 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 8:37am
post #2 of 8

I understand your dilemma, but if the 9 and 7" cakes will be displayed the same as the 10" side cakes on 2" larger drums, wouldn't you want to match with 2" larger drums on all? I agree, the larger the drum the more it will shadow the vases, but if it doesn't overshadow too much with the 10" side cakes then it shouldn't overshadow any more on the smaller cakes also with 2" larger drums. I think the problem might be finding odd size drums, so if that's the case and you have to use 1" larger drums--it will look fine.

sweettreat101 Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 8

I purchased 1/2 inch foam core board so I plan on cutting to size. I'm having trouble figuring out what size would look best. I could make 11" boards for the 10" cakes if they will look better. I was just concerned that there won't be much room left to frost and decorate. I usually use at least a 2" larger board. I don't want the boards shadowing the lighting and taking away from the display. Someone had mentioned using a drywall cutter to cut the boards so I wonder if you can make a circle of any size using this tool. Thank you for your help I really appreciate it.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 8

I'm a little confused. Don't you frost and decorate the cake on a cake board and then put it on a drum? I just covered a 7" cake with fondant, then put it on an 8" cake drum, then finished it off with some of the decorating details. If you want to show the vases & flowers, I would do the smaller boards on all the cakes.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 8

Frost and decorate on a regular cardboard round, then put it on the drum. You really shouldn't put cake directly on foamcore because it isn't meant for food.

If it were me, I would do 11" circles trimmed with a nice ribbon.

And holy crap that is a lot of cake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 8

I use purchased drums and decorate the cake directly on the drum. Otherwise you run the risk of the cardboard sliding on the drum. Well, unless you remember to put down royal or chocolate or something.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 8

Yep I do the same thing. It's more expensive but it's also a total PITA to cut foamcore.

sweettreat101 Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 10:09pm
post #8 of 8

I usually just decorate on the cake drums. I plan on using silver foil purchased at my local cake supply store. Someone had mentioned the foam core boards so I wanted to try it out. The shipping for cake drums costs more than ten cake drums. Michaels sells a cutter for core boards but someone had mentioned using a dry wall cutter. Thank you everyone for the info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%