Whipped Cream (Bettercream)

Decorating By tinascakes Updated 15 Sep 2005 , 5:08pm by mvigil

tinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinascakes Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 15

Is it possible to decorate a cake with whipped cream or bettercream. I was wondering if it could be used for borders and flowers? My family doesn't like buttercream so I'm really hoping it would work.

14 replies
Sangria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangria Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 15

You can with whipped cream. I have never heard of bettercream.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 15

I've used Bettercreme mostly as a filling, but you can do simple borders & flowers with it. When you whip it up you can make it any stiffness, so if you're doing borders & flowers you just make it a bit stiffer by whipping longer.

I doubt that heavy flowers, like large roses, would hold their shape very long and I would think that you'd be best doing things you can pipe directly on the cake.

I e-mailed Rich's (maker of Bettercreme) about shelf life at room temp and they told me that it could stay out safely for 5 days.

I recall reading somewhere that dark colors can bleed if the cake is refrigerated and then warmed.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinascakes

Is it possible to decorate a cake with whipped cream or bettercream. I was wondering if it could be used for borders and flowers? My family doesn't like buttercream so I'm really hoping it would work.

I have also used bettercream and I did leave borders and was even able to make poinsettas with it... Its nice an thick. I didn't make roses, but you can give it a try.

melodyangel1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyangel1978 Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 15

I use it at work all the time, it makes wonderful roses. So much easier on your hands than buttercream, because it is soft. But it holds up when whipped long enough. But BlakesCakes is right, the colors do bleed, especially writing, if you decorate in advance. Hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

tinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinascakes Posted 15 Sep 2005 , 2:49am
post #6 of 15

Thank you so much everyone. I bought some bettercream and can't wait to decorate with it.

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 15 Sep 2005 , 9:51am
post #7 of 15

I have used this several times for birthday cakes. It is softer than buttercream, it's been awhile, but I don't remember bleeding problems. It's not difficult to work with but I found that it softens quickly in your hands. BUT IT TASTES GREAT! thumbs_up.gif

Rose

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 15 Sep 2005 , 12:06pm
post #8 of 15

What exactly is bettercream...pre-packaged icing?

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 15 Sep 2005 , 3:26pm
post #9 of 15

MrsMissey, Bettercream is a non-dairy topping mix. It come in a quart container (like milk) and is kept refrigerated or frozen. You would whip it like you are making "whipped cream". I use it for an awesome cookies and cream filling. I am actually going to try using it for a frosting today, but I am mixing it with some heavy cream. I hope this works! icon_surprised.gificon_rolleyes.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 15 Sep 2005 , 3:42pm
post #10 of 15

Oh, gotcha! Sounds tasty too! Thanks for the info! thumbs_up.gif

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 15 Sep 2005 , 3:53pm
post #11 of 15

I've never heard of it either but it sounds delicious!!!

Gingoodies Posted 15 Sep 2005 , 4:51pm
post #12 of 15

Well I just finished doing my cake with the Bettercreme/heavy cream frosting. It was very nice to work with and easy to pipe. The consistency is very smooth. The taste is good, but a little sweet for me personally. icon_confused.gif I used one quart of Bettercreme, about 2 cups of heavy cream and 1 Tbsp. of vanilla extract.

mvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvigil Posted 15 Sep 2005 , 4:59pm
post #13 of 15

Is that all the ingriedents that it call for?? icon_smile.gif
I might want to try it.
I made a foot ball field with the dream whip and my family liked it better then butter cream icon_razz.gif

Gingoodies Posted 15 Sep 2005 , 5:03pm
post #14 of 15

mvigil.. the Bettercreme can be whipped all by itself. I find that for me personally it is too sweet alone. I added the heavy cream and vanilla as an experiment. Bettercreme when whipped alone gets a firmer consistency. I was looking for something inbetween the bettercreme and whipped cream.

mvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvigil Posted 15 Sep 2005 , 5:08pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks Ginny,
I might try it some day!! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%