Pricing Help - 40" Tall Toddler-Sized Standing Cake

Business By btrsktch Updated 28 Aug 2012 , 9:22pm by Addictive_desserts

btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 11

I took the class with Mike McCarey last year on construction of a standing cake, so I can understand how to do it. He even went over basic pricing for the cake stand that he offered, HOWEVER, I'm extremely concerned about pricing and even time estimate something of this size. Client doesn't care about how much cake there is, more concerned about ensuring the cake is a life size replica.
In class we discussed a $25 to $30 charge for a standing figure. I'm early estimating starting with enough cake to feed 200 and carving down from there.
I know that I'm in Amazing Cakes pricing realm here and it makes me nervous since I've never done something of this cost before. Luckily, I do have help to make it and a full set of instructions! I'm just not sure if this price sound about right?

10 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 11

You are talking about stacking 16-18 cakes with adequate support. PLUS the time to carve a head ( RKT, right?) so that it actually looks like the child.

I think $500 might be a baseline, given the large amount of time you are going to spend. Don't forget that you will be required to make sure that this can be delivered and hold up for at least an hour onsite...you will be using far more expensive materials than you would normally use.

btrsktch Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 11

Irene, you meant to add another zero, right???? icon_confused.gif

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 2:20am
post #4 of 11

I don't understand saying it would have to hold up for at least an hour, where does that come from? Would you want it to "hold up" longer than that?

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 11

to clarify, you were meaning $25-$30 per serving? and billing it at 200 servings?

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet

I don't understand saying it would have to hold up for at least an hour, where does that come from? Would you want it to "hold up" longer than that?

If you consider transit time and the party going longer than expected, it should be obvious that a 40" tall cake about 12" x 4-6" cross section needs to hold up for a lot longer than an hour. A shape that is so VERY tall and and not too thick will warm up and therefore fall apart a LOT faster than a tiered cake of the same serving count.

If there were any possibility of delay at all I would use RKT for the child and sheet cakes for 200 as a base is not nearly so much of an issue.

I would price sheetcake according to the decoration, starting at $5.00 per serving. The figure itself in RKT starting at $500 depending on whether you are required to make designer clothing for it...

FYI somebody has at least once made a life-sized Lenin cake in Russia...the first time they did it, the photo absolutely freaked all those people who were forced to stand in line at the mausoleum while they were schoolkids. Some subjects just do NOT translate to cake even if you are Buddy Valastro who did his wife in cake when she turned 30.....

ginaq79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginaq79 Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 4:47am
post #7 of 11

I just saw a video on youtube yesterday about a 3ft tall dragon made of cake and rkt and they charged 4500 !!! The cake was a cutsey style girl dragon and had some detail but i'm sure not as much as a child replica cake would have. Just to give some thought on price... if you want to see the video, go on youtube and search TLC dragon cake - a sweet designs cake. Good luck!!

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 5:22am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet

FYI somebody has at least once made a life-sized Lenin cake in Russia...the first time they did it, the photo absolutely freaked all those people who were forced to stand in line at the mausoleum while they were schoolkids. Some subjects just do NOT translate to cake even if you are Buddy Valastro who did his wife in cake when she turned 30.....

Hahaha, this made me laugh. When I read the cake was going to be a life size toddler it kinda scared me.

P.S. Not trying to steal the thread away from your post.

btrsktch Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 2:41pm
post #9 of 11

After doing more research and follow through, I did end up pricing the cake at a little over $5k.

Of course, me being the diligent business owner gave her additional less expensive options such as 1/2 cake and RKT and all RKT. She went will all RKT, especially since the 4ft cake only needs to feed 50 guests.

I'll be documenting the process and have plenty of photos along the way!

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 3:35pm
post #10 of 11

Wow. You are extremely brave. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Are you sculpting the toddler based off pictures, or do you get to meet the kid?

Addictive_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Addictive_desserts Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 9:22pm
post #11 of 11

I would love to see the pics when you finish!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%