Perfectly Smooth Buttercream Techniques

Decorating By Jackie Updated 22 Aug 2012 , 3:52pm by nanefy

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 4

Perfectly Smooth Buttercream Frosting Tutorials
Below are 3 very popular techniques for getting your buttercream frosted cake perfectly smooth.
Post links to videos using these techniques and other smooth buttercream icing methods in a reply to this thread!

Do you have a buttercream tutorial you would like to submit? It's easy, just post it here:
http://submit.cakecentral.com/submit-a-tutorial

Image VIVA Paper Towel Method

Image Upside Down Method 1

Image Upside Down Method 2

Image Foam Roller (Melvira) Method

Image How To Frost a Square Cake & Get Crisp Corners with Buttercream

3 replies
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 4

When I first starting decorating cakes, I used most, if not all of these methods to get my buttercream smooth, but I was never happy with the taste or really the look of crusting buttercream. I preferred the taste of an all-butter, non-crusting icing, but most of these methods didn't work with the non-crusters. I tried technique after technique, and I finally found a method that worked for me. After many requests from readers of my blog, I finally created a few YouTube videos to document the process. Here they are:

Smooth Buttercream Tutorial

mbranko24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbranko24 Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 12:40am
post #3 of 4

Jenniffer- thank you so much for posting a link to your tutorial! I have never had luck with the Viva method and will be trying your method on my next cake.

Thank you again!

Erin

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 4

The upside down method is hands down the best and easiest method to get smooth buttercream/ganache. I use the upside down method for all my cakes and I only ever use either ganache or SMBC (which is non crusting) - I wouldn't use any other technique icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%