Protruding Shapes On Cake?

Decorating By jmorri26 Updated 20 Aug 2012 , 3:43pm by jmorri26

jmorri26 Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all!

I'm stumped with this one- I'm making a 20 inch tall minion cake (from Despicable Me. The little goggled yellow guys) and they have large protruding monoculs on their faces. It just dawned on my the other day in all my cake making- I've never had a big protruding shape like that (it'll stick out at least 6 inches) There's also arms hugging a banana I made in RKT, but that's the lesser of my worries!

I made a batch of RKT with no butter/oil. I shaped it in that and it looks great, lightweight. I made a glass "lens" with isomalt as well. Thinking I could cover it in fondant, detail it and when ready, stick it in with skewers. Just testing out the RKT though, with time and gravity it wants to come apart. I could cover it in gumpaste to make it more secure in shape but it still might fall...RKT work great...for smaller things. I've never used a piece this big. In whole its about the size of a teacup saucer wide.

I thought maybe last minute effort I could get some pound cake since premade is so light and dense and carve that to fit and cover/skewer it.

I can support the bottom of it from the main cake, but I'm worried it will collapse still. It didn't seems feasible to carve the shapes out of larger cake. Anyone have any tips or experiences with big protrusions on their cakes and how to get them to stay put? This is for thursday for 300 some odd people. I can't stand the thought of the cute eye falling to bits in front of everyone!

2 replies
cakecraving Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 3

I was thinking RKT too. What about cupcakes. Or maybe not edible. When I did my spiderman I used a wig head. Same thought I don't want his head to fall off at the party. Good luck

jmorri26 Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 3

I thought about making it non-edible. Model Magic is SO lightweight and would work perfectly (and non-toxic) but I hate hate having non-edible parts of a cake like that, especially that big. If need be I guess I can have that ready as a backup, but I'm convinced I can get this edible!

Quote by @%username% on %date%