To Chill Or Not To Chill, That Is My Question

Decorating By Cherylc418 Updated 21 Aug 2012 , 2:49pm by costumeczar

Cherylc418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cherylc418 Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 7:59am
post #1 of 9

In your humble opinion, what works best for you when delivering a multi tiered cake, chilling the cake prior, a trip in the freezer prior, or nothing at all? What is your method and why does it work?

8 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 11:57am
post #2 of 9

Welllllllllll for me...
No matter the weather outside i have the airconditioner running for a good 5 minutes before my cake goes anywhere near the car.

If it is summer - then my homne is cool so the car must be cool
If it is winter - then my house is warm but my caking room is cool - again i want my car cool...thus the A/C goes on.

I don't like having my cakes going from one temp to another and then to another.....

So its the A/c for me and my cakes. thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue

dantherex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dantherex Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 9

Depends on the type of cake and filling and how long it's going to be out. I ice all my cakes with butter cream the day before and leave them in the fridge. I always leave any decorating or fondant covering the day of the event.

Also, the type of fondant also affects wether you can put your cake in the fridge or not. I know I use Massa Ticino and it can hold up against the moisture of the fridge, but I never feel the need to refrigerate it anyways.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 9

Yep I always refrigerate mine for a couple of hours to firm them up. My buttercream recipes are quite soft so I like to have that additional stability that refrigeration provides.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 9

Back when I had my shop I delivered at room temps always.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 12:05am
post #6 of 9

Deliver only when very firm from the fridge. Our roads out here are just too rough and the vibration of the bumps can just mess with a cake. Hard and cold from the fridge into an AC car (unless it is already cool outside)

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 12:15am
post #7 of 9

Same here, very rough roads. Cold cake, with a center post glued into the wooden cake plate, delivered in a cake cooler packed at the base with frozen cold packs - box is sealed tight.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 1:50am
post #8 of 9

Thanks OP for starting this thread. I've often struggled with this especially with cupcakes and SMBC. I want the SMBC cold for transportation but I'm afraid the cupcake will dry out due to refrigeration.

For those who refrigerate for transportation, how do you handle your cupcakes?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 2:49pm
post #9 of 9

I refrigerate everything before delivery, they go in the fridge the day before after they're decorated. the health department likes it that way, but it also makes the cakes nice and stable for being moved around. The only time I've had any problem with tiers shifting was when they were transported without being chilled first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%